contracting opportunities with British Gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Just recieved an invitation to apply to contract for BG. Apparently you can choose how many days you work, they provide a laptop, uniform, FGA, support and training. They give you servicing/repair work via the laptop and pay the 'going rate' for the job, only they dont say how much that is! All you need is a van, PL insurance and CRB check.
The question is has anyone out there taken them up on their offer and if so how have you got on, is there an interview etc. Sounds like a good supplement of work in these times, but I am thinking it cant be as good as it seems. Thanks in advance for any info regarding this as I am considering applying. Enjay

Sponsored Links
you had best speak to paul barker on here as he subbies for them just now.

you are right its not as easy as it sounds. you will most likely end up like the rest of the contractors......not doing your job properly because you dont have the time or dont want to lose money as a result of doing it right.

be prepared for abusive phone calls from me if you leave crap behind for me to sort when you cant be arsed. :LOL:

You ain't gonna get rich going down the subbie road with BG, but if you are pretty good at diagnosing boiler/system faults and can turn a deaf ear to the politics and abuse you'll get from the direct guys it will pay the bills and keep you afloat untill things pick up. Just remember not to take it home with you, when you sign off switch off!, there is always someone there to pick up the bits.

Thanks for replies so far, which seem to repeat my own thoughts on the matter. If you could pick your own days to work and move them around from week to week that would be great for me, I could do a couple of days when I am slack and so on. Probably though they would want you to commit to so many days a week and stick to the same days. Might be worth enquiring I suppose, I know a couple of guys who work for BG but they dont know much about how the contracting side works. They tell me they get a fixed time for a call, which is a bit silly considering every job will take a different amount of time to do. Anyway thanks so far.

Sponsored Links
If you think you will be able to do a couple of days here and there you have no chance they are looking for minimum 4 days and at a push 3 long days with the equivalent of 4 days work done .
Yep fixed price whether it takes you ten mins or 2 hours any job that comes back within 3 weeks you will lose the money for.
But easy to earn around a grand if you get servicing

Back