Control Panel Unit Wiring

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a magnetic door contact on the side door of my garage.

The instructions show the red and black wire going to the silver contact and the yellow and blue to be twisted together and go to one of the brass contacts. It then shows that the red and black go to the appropriate zone in the control panel unit.

However, I'm unsure from the diagram in the manual where the blue and yellow terminate. Should they terminate at the tamper terminals or terminate separately or together using a connector strip?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends on your panel. My guess is that it should link in series with all the other blue and yellow cores from the other zones. You might have a choc block with several blue and yellows linked together... Add this pair into the chain.

If you've got nothing except a link in the tamper terminals, then don't bother!! :)

If you've got nothing except a link in the tamper terminals, then don't bother!! :)
I suggest you do bother. Why compromise, what I assume is likely to be external cable by not having an anti-tamper circuit?

I suggest you do bother. Why compromise, what I assume is likely to be external cable by not having an anti-tamper circuit?

Obviously, it is best practice to have a tamper connection on every circuit. However, assuming that the alarm is in the house and assuming that the garage is not attached to the house and assuming that the cable between the two is exposed and assuming that some nere-do-well cuts the cable and assuming that the OP is in the house at the time, there will be a tamper activation, alerting him to the damage.

If the alarm is set when the cable is cut, it will go off. If the alarm isn't set and the OP is away, he won't hear the tamper!! :rolleyes:

If no detectors have tampers, including this one, and the cable is cut, the OP won't be able to set the alarm... This means that he'll know that the cable has been cut. All in all, on balance, for an OP that is not familiar with alarms, the incremental advantage of connecting the tamper is (imho) outweighed by the effort of explaining what to do!!

;)

Sponsored Links
Well, I'm glad you don't install alarms for a living with your attitude to security.

If that's the case, glad to never be one of your customers.

In all fairness, EightyTwo's explanation is from a DIY point of view and the OP doesn't seem to fully understand how a conventional tamper circuit is wired, therefore it will provide minimal benefit.

However, surely it would be even easier if there was nothing in the terminals, as the cable just connects straight in?

I doubt that's he's like this when he's installing them for a living (assuming he does)

Thanks Josh,

If I was installing this in a detatched garage with the panel in the house, of course I'd use a tamper connection. I'd also mechanically protect the cable - either underground or in metal conduit. That's the least that NACOSS would expect.

In this case, I don't know anything about the site and, if I was taking it over, I'd make sure that every zone had some sort of tamper (even if it was a single global tamper) and many other things as well. However, this isn't what the OP asked!

I doubt if Europlex will ever be one of my customers!! :LOL:

Then why not tell cdh the correct way to do things, as you have now done in replying to my criticism?

One of your customers, you have to be joking, I work for one of the national/international Cos, and not the three letter one you immediately thought of.

Oh dear, I'm so sorry, I missed that one didn't I sparky.

BUT, NACOSS still exists and NSI is now used as its 'public' name.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back