Controller problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend tried changing the batteries in quite old Honeywell controller. Unfortunately dropped it during the process, and once replaced, no central heating - the light would not come on. She rang me, so I suggested she got a new controller, and I'd fit it for her today.

All went fine, and I fitted it, and everything worked. However, I hadn't screwed the backplate to the wall, so I took the controller off, screwed it to the wall, and then tried to put the controller back on. I'd forgotten to turn off the mains, though, and there was a pop as I tried re-fitting it. It's now dead.

Still had the old controller, so thought I'd re-fit that, so she at least had hot water. That is dead too, except the clock works, as that's powered by the new batteries.

There's a junction box in the airing cupboard, so I looked in there and found a 2 amp glass fuse - which looked pretty blown (black inside the glass). She had a spare, but still no joy.

I can't think where else there can be a fuse, or a component that is not working. And I need to fix it ASAP!

Any ideas, help, suggestions, please. I'm in trouble with 'er indoors, as it's really her friend....

Sponsored Links
if it is only the timer that is bust, and you are competent to do so you can simply move the live wires into the same terminal which will give hot water and heating constantly, and use the spur as a simple on/off switch until you get a new clock, done this many many times at an out of hours call out as temp repair. it will also prove if it is only the timer that is bust

Many thanks for your reply. The back plate has L, N, and four further terminals, which are htg on, htg off, water on, water off.

What do I connect to what in that set-up?

if you put htg on/water on into the live terminal it will give you constant htg and water.
the cyl stat and htg stat will control them.

Sponsored Links
Any ideas, help, suggestions, please. I'm in trouble with 'er indoors, as it's really her friend

Pay for an electrician next time, instead of trying to be the Hero then making a complete mess of it all. :rolleyes:

All solved - there were two fuses in the spur, and I'd not seen/checked the second one...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back