Controlling low voltage garden lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to install half a dozen low voltage (12V) lamps beside our newly laid garden path. I really would like to use a PIR sensor to detect people coming down the path. I know how this is done when using mains lighting, but I am not sure if a standard PIR would be able to handle the inductive load of the mains transformer which supplies the step lights.

Can someone please advise if I am on the right track, and if not how can I detect visitors. Also can I use 2 PIRs, one at each end of the path (it is quite long and very dark) to detect movement from either end?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The PIR would need to be on the mains (230V) side of the transformer.

Yes you can have a PIR at both ends of the garden. If you use regular (wired) PIRs then you'll need to run armoured cable between the two. You'll need 3, maybe 4 core cable.
There's lots of hassle with doing that...

Or use a wireless PIR system like this Click me

Thanks Taylortwocities, I guess you just parallel the two load outputs together and the first PIR to see motion will trigger?

The wireless PIR is a nice idea but a little on the expensive side!

Thanks for your advice

Something like this
PIR3.jpg

The switch gives you an over-ride feature so light stays on all the time. Some PIRs have a pulse mode feature so u can wire the switch into the line feed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back