Wiring low voltage garden lights into mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

is it possible to wire the transformer for a set of low voltage garden lights directly into the mains? I have 2 other standard voltage lights outside and wanted to spur off this … so that the lights activate together from a single switch? And to avoid a major cabling job.

I tried this earlier but the fuse kept tripping … so unclear if this is possible.

thanks

D

Sponsored Links
Post pictures of your work, so we can see what you have done.

Hello

is it possible to wire the transformer for a set of low voltage garden lights directly into the mains? I have 2 other standard voltage lights outside and wanted to spur off this … so that the lights activate together from a single switch? And to avoid a major cabling job.

I tried this earlier but the fuse kept tripping … so unclear if this is possible.
You mean that you wish to "hard-wire" the Low voltage (230 V AC) side of a transformer (without using a plug and socket) to supply Extra Low voltage to garden lights. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extra-low_voltage )

If "the fuse kept tripping" it is likely that there was something wrong with the way things were wired.

Here is a diagram
E1891BB8-0621-4DD0-B394-5122475BD977.jpeg

Sponsored Links
No reason that should not work, you say trip and a fuse does not trip, it ruptures, so what is tripping View attachment 259983 ?
Apologies for the lack of technical jargon here but simply put, when I connect the neutral and live cables from the supply side of the transformer (without yet adding the lights onto that that transformer) it trips the whole fuse board (so not the lighting circuit as such but the whole board … which I think is the MCB).

Then I would guess it is an RCD tripping, i.e. it has a test button. See photo and select device.

The RCD checks the current on the two live wires (line and neutral both live) and if the same it does not trip, idea is if power goes to earth there will be an imbalance. However also if you select wrong neutral it would also trip.

Since your diagram shows a class II transformer (no earth) it seems likely you have got a wire mixed up some where, however some RCD's can trip with spikes of voltage, so could be a poor transformer.

But pictures are your friend, show us what you have.

Ok I am away for a week now so will press pause and send pictures when I am there!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back