convectors - elements touching - red glow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just installed two 2kw convection heaters bought from a well known wholesaler. At switch on, I noticed a red heat glow on the element - same spot on both heaters. I wouldn't have noticed except I was sure the old ones I've replaced never showed any sign of heat at the element, except, well, convection.

On closer inspection it seems in both cases two of the fine element filaments are touching, the glow being at the join - a piece of metal about 2cm long.

Bad batch, or design?

Each is on its own circuit from the CU, on a 20A MCB (used to be storage heater points). They're causing no problems there.

Does anyone fit enough of these to know if a 2cm glowing bit of element is unusual?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Can't get a piccy. Glow only shows in a darkened room, then the flash hides it. It'd take holding camera/phone over the heater on quite a long exposure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back