Conversion of shop to residence, order of events

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope this is not to basic a question

We have a building which was once a chapel, ground floor was a shop with living accommodation over, houses join on either side, village location

Basically we want to convert the ground floor into a separate residence

What are the order of events
ie do I consult an architect first? or builder? or who?

I visited the council and they said they having nothing in particular against the proposal but could not comment further without specifics

I don't want to waste money doing things in the wrong order hence the question

Sponsored Links
Do you intend to sell it as a home, rent it out, live in it or what? do you need to work out what you you can fit in to make the change of use viable or what?

In short are you going to get the change of use whatever or does will the potential layout and consequential ultimate sale price or rental income (£££) dictate whether you get the change of use or not?

Not entirely sure what you mean but we live in the upper part (two floors)

Initially would like some income from rental of ground floor, leading at some point in the future to selling both as separate residences

Space should not be a problem nor layout as ground floor is basically an oblong no interior walls at all, floor of above was soundproofed after a revamp 30 years ago, entrance and stairs would need repositioning

I could go for converting the whole into one residence but it would be to big for most peoples needs and has no garden, entrance is direct to the road, ie no front garden or garage, so if one large residence I can't see it fetching a good price due to that hence my thoughts of two dwellings upper and lower

Do you intend to sell it as a home, rent it out, live in it or what? do you need to work out what you you can fit in to make the change of use viable or what?

In short are you going to get the change of use whatever or does will the potential layout and consequential ultimate sale price or rental income (£££) dictate whether you get the change of use or not?

OK I didn’t explain myself very well, if you are going to convert it whatever then just get on and do it, why do you need to speak with a builder first? You don’t have to use an ‘architect’ you can employ an architectural technician one man band type of fella who will be cheaper. Or if you’re handy with a pencil and paper you can always DIY it.

Sponsored Links
Well the choices I have are sell as it is and probably not get a great price for it (if I can sell it at all like that) or convert to a separate dwelling ground floor, then either sell both or get some income from rent, selling later

I was under the impression that with the regulations there are these days I would need some professional advice at least from an architect, whilst I am handy enough in the sense I can tackle most jobs, I would not want to fall foul of the regulations (building/planning etc) incurring unnecessary expense having to redo this or that

It seems a minefield to negotiate doing it myself

It was deregulated or whatever the correct term is as a business, so whatever I do I will need change of use

Change of use/Conversion of a shop to a dwelling is currently permitted development, though it is subject to a procedure called prior approval which councils are seemingly attempting to morph into a form of planning permission - where a PA application attracts fees, conditions and s106 agreements they may have dubious legal weight, so don't be pushed around if you adopt this route, don't assume that what the council say is correct, well informed or in your interests

Building control is separate and required to ensure that the resulting dwelling is safe and performs well. You're not required to appoint the council and are free to engage an independent approved inspector if you choose so

Remember that your project may be a qualifying conversion for VAT reclaim purposes depending on certain circumstances.

Forgive my ignorance, but are you saying I might be able to convert without planning approval?

But would need building control?

Or am I misunderstanding you

I was reading about the VAT situation yesterday and would need to go over that again but thanks for pointing out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back