Garage Conversion - problems

Sponsored Links
I would love to get my money back but really is it very likely? It is around 2k I will be out of pocket for having to do the work again

I hope your former builder/plasterer have PI insurance...
I hope the OP pays for an architect (designer) next time and thinks twice before using a plasterer as a project manager.

Yes a good point, I admit I have made mistakes but still a qualified builder recommended by several people in the village should not make such basic errors and should be up to date with latest building regulations, I was not to know he was incompetent. Enough people had said that for such a small job an architect was not really required

Enough people had said that for such a small job an architect was not really required
Probably not. But then you would need an experienced builder you can trust. There is more to having a drawing than just a composition of instructions.

Sponsored Links
I get this this loads of times. "Do I need plans for my garage conversion?". And the answer is invariably "No ....... but .... you need a builder who knows what to do". And its a very big "but".

It's a very simple answer to give, but thinking about it, all builders know what to do don't they? Surely no builder is going to tell a client that he does not know how to convert a garage.

Then comes the "how do I find a good builder who knows what to do" question. And the normal reply is recommendations, references, contracts, monitor the work, watch payments, employ a supervising agent etc.

It occurred to me that if the people I have done building jobs for over the years, had followed the advice I give in my professional role, then I probably would not have got any of the jobs!

People are very trusting when it comes to building work. I have got, and still get jobs on the basis of a mobile number (passed from a friend of the potential customer), a quick conversation, and a verbal estimate. Nothing else. No checks, no contracts. Nothing.

So the OP does have my sympathy. He has not done anything different to what thousands of people do. He was just unlucky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back