Moving the bathroom - building regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are fitting a new kitchen and bathroom in a ground floor flat within a house conversion.

We share a soil stack with flat upstairs.

We are moving the bathroom so a new soil pipe is needed. It's more than 3 meters from the manhole so will need an intermediate rodding point.

We were considering making a new connection to the existing manhole rather than connect to the existing soil pipe shared with upstairs flat.

But im worried we need a new soil stack or durco valve.

Also do we need to notify building control?

Councils building control have been so slow with the structural work that I'm wondering if we should get an approved inspector to oversee and sign off the builders work and if it costs same as councils building control inspector/application?

Any recommendations for approved inspectors?

Or would the cheapest easiest thing be to get the builder to connect to the existing waste pipe? And add a rodding point half way?

Advice much appreciated as always.

Sponsored Links
It should need building regulation approval for the drainage, and if you are affecting internal fire safely - eg means of escape routes, plus the usual things for a new bathroom - ventilation, insulation etc.

Also possible water company approval if it's their drains.

I can't understand the council being "slow". You should be able to book a next day appointment and they turn up.

Are you implying the Council have already been appointed to deal with some parts of those works? If so, you couldn’t then decide for the rest of it (i.e. drainage) to be dealt with by an Approved Inspector. Unless the structural and drainage works are completely separate from one another.

Yes it's separate.

I got the councils building control to certify some structure. Separate application.

Now we decided to move the bathroom. We need some advice on avoiding the addition of a manhole. I don't really know if building control will advise the builder what way to connect the new toilet waste in a way that avoids a new manhole.

I know approved inspectors give alot of advice on the design before you build it.
I don't know if the councils inspector would do the same.

Sponsored Links
They were happy to advise me when I did our extension. Its mostly just checking but you can sometimes have a friendly chat about options. Probably depends on the individual

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back