Convert older fluorescent fitting to HF electronic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
Just moved in to a new house and in the kitchen is an older fluorescent tube fitting (5ft, 58w).

The ballast in it appears to be on its way out (changed the tube and starter but it still takes a good few attempts to light then flickers when on).

It's currently wired as follows (earths omitted on the drawing):

lamp-wiring.png

I my "man drawer" I have an Osram Quicktronic Instant Start QTIS e 1x58/220-240.

As some pillock has previously decided to paint the ceiling a few times without removing the fitting it is welded to the ceiling with paint, pulling it off to replace it will damage the surrounding paint, and re-decorating the kitchen isn't on the cards for a few months.

My question is; can I fit this new HF electronic ballast to the existing fitting? If so, can you advise on the wiring?

The connections on the new ballast can be found here: http://tehjunk.com/quicktronic-left.jpg and http://tehjunk.com/quicktronic-right.jpg

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You just need to strip out whats there and wire it as per the diagram on the RHS of the ballast. Ensure that you remove a little bit of powder coating where the mounting nuts tighten down upon it to ensure continuity to the case

Am I being thick here? but there's only 3 terminals for the 4 pins of the tube. :confused:

It appears it runs one end of the tube cold. Pretty unusual for that size of tube!

Sponsored Links
It will work, but note it only uses THREE lamp leads and the starter will be out of circuit as not needed.

Ensure the unit is connected to the metal light casing to pick up the earth

Connect live and neutral to 1 and 2 anyway round
Remove any capacitor connected across the supply

connect lampholder pair from furthest end to 21 and 22

connect other lampholder using just one lampholder wire to 23

Remove other wire or seal off safe from this lampholder as its not required
ensure the unit in fitting is towards this lampholder end to keep the single wire relatively short as possible

Am I being thick here? but there's only 3 terminals for the 4 pins of the tube. :confused:

seen it a lot on philips 4 foot fittings, odd thing was the emergency converted ones only seem to light at one end rather than the entire tube

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back