Fluorescent fitting kaput

"but you're looking at ~4500-5000 lumen for a 58w 5ft tube." - yes, when (a) they are new and (c) the ambient temperature is not too low.

You can bandy figures as much as you like. I see with my eyes, and my eyes tell me that overall these tubes do a better job than the conventional tubes that they replaced. YMMV.
I am yet to see an LED tube or fluorescent lookalike fitting that gives out anywhere near as much light as a fluorescent tube.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for LED lighting I think it's great, on the whole. The CRI for a lot of tubes isn't great either.

Maybe the TLC ones are better than most but I'm still not sold.

Sponsored Links
I am yet to see an LED tube or fluorescent lookalike fitting that gives out anywhere near as much light as a fluorescent tube.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for LED lighting I think it's great, on the whole. The CRI for a lot of tubes isn't great either.

Maybe the TLC ones are better than most but I'm still not sold.

All I can add is that I was surprised how good they were the first time I switched them on - I was not expecting them to be as good as a normal tube.

So when I took it down, turned out it was Thorn Lighting, the one that TLC sell as a "Pop Pack". Replaced it with the same thing (it's only a shed after all) and the wiring and screw holes fit - but the ballast, whilst still branded "Tridonic" digital ballast is quite different, a lot smaller. Time will tell.

So when I took it down, turned out it was Thorn Lighting, the one that TLC sell as a "Pop Pack". Replaced it with the same thing (it's only a shed after all) and the wiring and screw holes fit - but the ballast, whilst still branded "Tridonic" digital ballast is quite different, a lot smaller. Time will tell.
It's probably just a newer model of the same or similar driver. Tridonic are a reputable manufacturer so you should get some decent usage out of it. 3-4 years seems a little on the shy side, but as Winston points out, a magnetic ballast will outlast an electronic equivalent all the time. There's literally nothing to go wrong with them, until the connector blocks melt away through heat.

Sponsored Links
Replace it. Try to get one with a conventional ballast.
Winston - surely you know that there is no such thing.

This is ballast:

screenshot_1121.jpg

Surely you mean an inductor?

Also, you let the term "digital ballast" be used. Surely you also know that there is no such thing - they are switch mode power supplies.

tridonic have reduced the size of there 58w electronic ballasts, there half the width now

tridonic have reduced the size of there 58w electronic ballasts, there half the width now

That's the one.

Winston - surely you know that there is no such thing.

This is ballast:

screenshot_1121.jpg

Surely you mean an inductor?

Also, you let the term "digital ballast" be used. Surely you also know that there is no such thing - they are switch mode power supplies.

The Tridonic digital ballast says it's a digital ballast.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back