Fluorescent fitting kaput

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 5ft fluorescent fitting (probably from Wickes) in my shed which has ceased to fluoresce. Probably been there 3-4 years. I have tried a new tube to no effect. It has a digital ballast rather than a conventional starter. I have confirmed there is 240v on the input chocblock to the ballast.

Is there anything I can do to fix it or is a chuck and replace situation?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have a 5ft fluorescent fitting (probably from Wickes) in my shed which has ceased to fluoresce. Probably been there 3-4 years. I have tried a new tube to no effect. It has a digital ballast rather than a conventional starter. I have confirmed there is 240v on the input chocblock to the ballast.

Is there anything I can do to fix it or is a chuck and replace situation?

Replace it. Try to get one with a conventional ballast. They tend not to fail. They may be less efficient electrically but in the long run cost less as you rarely have to replace.

What is it you dislike about the sheds ?
The way they killed off proper merchants who sold decent products which they knew about, and replaced them with vast caverns stuffed full of cheap tat and where, if you do manage to actually find an employee, you won't have found one who can give you any useful advice.

There are people on here that disagree and claim they use less power and give less light.
I am one of those people. They are obviously half(ish) the wattage, but you're looking at ~4500-5000 lumen for a 58w 5ft tube. But that LED tube is 3000+. Whilst that could include those figures, I suspect it's more likely in the low 3000s otherwise it would be described in a more precise fashion

I am one of those people. They are obviously half(ish) the wattage, but you're looking at ~4500-5000 lumen for a 58w 5ft tube. But that LED tube is 3000+. Whilst that could include those figures, I suspect it's more likely in the low 3000s otherwise it would be described in a more precise fashion

"but you're looking at ~4500-5000 lumen for a 58w 5ft tube." - yes, when (a) they are new and (c) the ambient temperature is not too low.

You can bandy figures as much as you like. I see with my eyes, and my eyes tell me that overall these tubes do a better job than the conventional tubes that they replaced. YMMV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back