convert single storey ext. to double storey ext.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would like to know how one would normally start the process of converting a single storey to two, what should I be looking out for when a builder starts etc..

I suppose what are the key things I need to look out for that a cowboy might do...

Am I also correct in thinking that I should be budgeting for this project build around £850-£1000 per sq. metre, so my 18sq. mtr should come in around £15k-£18k.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
First thing you need to establish is if the existing single storey can cope with the additional loading. So some more info about the existing is forthcoming in order to move the thread forward.

Hi, I would like to know how one would normally start the process of converting a single storey to two, what should I be looking out for when a builder starts etc.
As freddy said, look at existing found's.
Look at existing roof/floor joists (if there are any) and their height relative to the existing.
Look at thickness of existing ground floor wall and whether you will need to add steels etc or a new internal wall to deal with (possibly) the new thicker wall above.
Look at scaffold encroachment onto the neighbours side.
Look at isolating the electrics in the room below.

First thing you need to establish is if the existing single storey can cope with the additional loading. So some more info about the existing is forthcoming in order to move the thread forward.

The founds are about 900mm, but building control will check this on a site inspection before work should commence.

Electrics can be isolated as they are separated in the new customer unit.

In terms of steel, yes I'll need another on the upper existing floor spanning probably 3.5m very similar to the one directly below I had the the current extension. I'm sure this will be all highlighted on the detail plans from the architect.

Sponsored Links
Then probably at least £1000m² as there'll be some buggeration aswell as messing with additional structure.

Then probably at least £1000m² as there'll be some buggeration aswell as messing with additional structure.

Would this calc of 1000 sq. mtr included fully built, water tight, plastered, electrics, plumbing any rads, basically finished and useable?
Unlikely, but it does provide a large chunk. Depends on the spec'.

A good builder will expect some decent drawings which will tell him what size to use. A builder is not necessarily qualified to specify joists. I know of no good builders who would do this kind of job without a good set of technical drawings.

A good builder will expect some decent drawings which will tell him what size to use. A builder is not necessarily qualified to specify joists. I know of no good builders who would do this kind of job without a good set of technical drawings.

So a builder follows orders, governed by detailed plans.

So really what your saying is when the plans are drawn, I need to read it 20 times, take it all and you will be able to inspect the progress of jobs yourself with the knowledge of a detailed plan.

:)

I'm expecting a post from a builder anytime now about how to spot an awkward customer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back