Convert structure to living space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am buying a house which has an additional single storey structure, about 2 metres from the house. The structure is double brick construction, and has electricity, water and sewage connections, but no heating.. It also has double glazed windows but only a flat roof, and appears to have some degree of damp, but the surveyor thinks that this is caused by condensation due to poor ventilation. It is approximately 10 metres by 3 metres.

Can anybody give me a rough figure for converting it into living accommodation? I was hoping that it could be done for around 10 grand, including a new roof.

Is that way off the mark?

Sponsored Links
living accommodation or habitable
if its to sleep in you need planning permission and comply with building regulations
if its a workshop then youll be ok

I really want to turn it into an additional living room/dining area.

At some point in the future I'd like the option to extend the back of the house and connect it to this structure, so I wouldn't want to rule that out.

I think it has been used as a workshop previously.

you will have to conform to building regulations for insulation /foundations /general construction and standard
if its a crowded site may be restricted and not get planning permission

Sponsored Links
Thanks. There is at least one other house on the street that has converted their identical outbuilding. In their case, it has actually been converted to a granny flat, with a kitchen and sleeping accommodation. They were granted planning permission for the conversion, which included the replacement of the flat roof with a pitched roof.

I suppose that at least suggests that the foundations and general construction of the current structure are OK for building regs, and that I would likely be granted any planning permission.

Do you reckon that ten grand would be enough to ensure that the conversion was up to building regs?

the only ones that can come anywhere near a price for the job are the ones who quote for the work with a list off assumptions as long as your arm with further costs to be covered by you as problems are uncovered
how long ago was the other one the same converted??
if within a couple off years that may signify some sort off easy to convert building but off course may not
also its the building regs applicable at time off application being granted

how long ago was the other one the same converted??

It was granted planning permission in late 2009.

if within a couple off years that may signify some sort off easy to convert building but off course may not also its the building regs applicable at time off application being granted

OK. Have regs changed enough since 2009, so that a convertable building in 2009, has a good chance of not being convertable in 2017?

Last edited:
no... thermal insulation requirement are vastly different as may many other requirements
as i say you need a few builders to quote but suspect knock down and rebuild may be more cost effective but who knows :rolleyes: without a full survey off the situation

but suspect knock down and rebuild may be more cost effective

Yikes! As I understand it, from rough quotes I've had for extensions, they are running at about £1,500 per square metre at the moment plus VAT (not including the cost of any RSJs), and I guess the required work would be similar. So presumably knocking it down and starting again could easily cost about 50k + the demolition costs.

I've no expertise in this area at all but, assuming that the foundations and basic structure are OK, what could be so costly?

I can imagine that a roof could be expensive and the insulation, as you mention, and then there are lots of other things like extending the central heating to the building, perhaps a rewire and/or additional wiring, damp course, and then all the internals, like flooring, woodwork, plastering and decoration, but could that get close to the same price as a total rebuild?

Am I missing something major, or just massively underestimating the cost of these items?

If this is going to cost 50k rather than 10-15k, then I've probably made a very bad decision on the valuation of the house. :(

Why would anything need demolishing? Just post a couple of pics, just sounds like converting a garage to me, £50k is bonkers. Think big-all maybe getting a bit carried away.

Why would anything need demolishing? Just post a couple of pics, just sounds like converting a garage to me, £50k is bonkers. Think big-all maybe getting a bit carried away.

yes the men in white coats are coming tomorrow :D:D:cool:
its more off an option not knowing exactly what is needed
although looking at the picture the quality looks good so quite promising (y)

Last edited:
Thanks. Does anybody have any thoughts on likely cost?

I have posted a video above also, which shows the internals. Not sure how helpful it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back