1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

convert telescopic rod into a fishing whip

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by mickcoulson, 15 Apr 2019 at 7:17 PM.

1. mickcoulson

mickcoulson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    hi.... I have a friend who is disabled and wants to fish but cannot use a fishing reel. I have an old telescopic rod that I've been thinking of converting into a fishing whip. my idea is to take the eyes off the rod and just using it as a small pole / whip and tie a rig on the end. does that sound feasible ? or are there any pitfalls
    cheers
    mickcoulson

2. mattylad

mattylad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    For a pole you need elastic or when you strike you will rip the fish out of water.
    Once your friend catches a fish how will they land it? it's not easy to manage a fish when you cannot reel in so at the least you will need to use elastic so perhaps keep the eyes and tie the elastic to a lower one, that way it will stretch when a fish is caught.

Perhaps get a 2nd hand put together pole if your friend can manage that?
    Or have a chat at your local fishing shop, they will likely be familiar with other disabled customers and may be able to offer advice.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. mickcoulson

mickcoulson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thanks for that...good idea. I've been told not to use elastic on a whip no reason given. I want to keep things relatively cheap ( my friend is a bit strapped for cash ) so that's why I'm using my old rod. My friend can swing the fish in when caught, the line will only be as long as the whip but I will definitely give some thought to your idea
    cheers.

4. mickcoulson

mickcoulson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    the rod must be telescopic to fit in a suitcase, we fish on harbour side in Greece

5. lostinthelight

lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Would it work of a off a pier, with whip fishing isnt the line length is the same as the whip so when the tip is raised vertcal the fish swings to hand?

6. mattylad

mattylad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ah, that's different then lol

Lost is correct, if your fishing off a harbour side then the line is going to be pretty long, whip fishing would involve the line only being a couple of feet from the tip.

Can your friend operate an automatic reel?
    This may be the solution, affix one to the rod, extend the line a bit with your nylon etc.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/Yo-Yo-Automatic-Fishing-Reels/701933.uts