fishing reels

I understand about them reels, but remember you haven't tested there are some decent cheapo's today.
I'm a shimano lover as i like quality when needed but i would never slate new reels today without a test/play/ feel it when you have a look i will be doing just that. You do need what to look for in a reel though.

Sponsored Links
I will check them out tomorrow. That bigger reel could be on my Sea/Beach combo, so worth a look.Just depends on capacity.
Fancy getting the fly fishing kit too. Never tried it but there is a trout lake "Fly" only and always fancied a try there. ( Worth the expense of the kit and if I like would get some more decent kit).
Bit steep for a day ticket and you pay for the fish taken by weight. But some monsters stocked and I love trout.

Would mean I have all types of fishing tackle then, always good to try another method.

Agreed about the Shimano, but also love the Okuma`s I have.

big fish/carp - shimano
mid range and general fishing - shimano or daiwa
match/light fishing - Milo/daiwa/map/shimano
spinning/lure - shimano

Okumo are good for price in all ranges, but if you can spend a bit more and take care of it, a good real can last your for a lifetime.
I have a now pretty rare Shimano 3500 baitrunner in Grey, which is the best part of 20yrs old. Still my weapon of choice for double figure barbel :cool:
I used a shimano 8010 to catch this :)

I note the barb is covered :D
Nice catch.

Had a shed load of Mitchell reels and split cane rods but when the boat was stolen all the rods and reels were on it!!!!!
Rods were hand made and the reels ones I had collected over the years.
Teach me to rent a berth by a public foot way.

Sponsored Links
mitchell reels used to be the business, shame they went down hill with quality :(

Still got my 1st rod a solid glass one and an Intrepid Black Prince complete with original box.
Date on box is Xmas 1967.

Also got an Abu 7000 bought in 1975, but doesn't get used any more.

Dont fish much these days but cant see me selling any of the gear though.

Just an old tackle tart at heart. :D

Update, the rods were as the reels by "Crane".
A make which has some decent kit but this was obviously the lower end.
This is from someone who fishes a lot, a novice could do worse TBH.
But I doubt the carp reel would handle even a decent 15 let alone a 20.
The smaller stuff was okay in look and feel and a m8 got the all purpose rod/reel combo. But I gave him some good line back at my house.

The glasses are also by Crane and I bought 4 pairs @ £3.99 each ( one for me and a choice for another mate) all are fully polarised and work.
They have about 5 styles but the "Aviator" or "wrap" is the better. One style makes you look like a knob from "Little Britain" according to m8ts daughter . So in the bag for a gift to someone on the lake or river :D

The baits were good but pre cooked hemp has a short life and we not always use it. The boilies were cheap and stank ( as they should ;) ) at £2.99 for a large carton a few were had.

Success rates to follow.

Did want the "Fly" rod and reel to mess about with but was too flimsy for my liking. I could be wrong obviously, but it just looked wrong.

Still got my 1st rod a solid glass one and an Intrepid Black Prince complete with original box.
Date on box is Xmas 1967.

Also got an Abu 7000 bought in 1975, but doesn't get used any more.

Dont fish much these days but cant see me selling any of the gear though.

Just an old tackle tart at heart. :D

Remember the Black Prince!
Was the Abu "closed face" `kin nightmare to use for me!!
Same as a sea "Multi"..........

Alarm, never brought a big carp in on a small line? I can fish.:cool: on a small float rod.

Pre cooked hemp works, had my first double barbel off there using stinky hemp.(as it should). on the ribble.

You'll never work out what the fish think, we need a sub forum, what you say joe? :LOL:

Of course I have caught Carp on light tackle, I just feel that reel I had in my hands today was a bit light and possibly not as good as made out. Although no real statements were on the box.
Baitrunner facility, front and rear drags as you would expect and a spare spool.
I did seriously think about getting one for the £7.99 but still decided against as it would probably never get used.

Then again I have a Carp Margin Pole (8.5 mt) worth a few hundred and only use it occasionally but have had a 13lb Common on it. Took a few heart beating moments I can assure you.

Agree on the fish, watched a few Barbel look at my bait for a few hours. Whatever I tried they just ignored it.
M8 took over the swim, one bread flake later he had one on the bank.
Not that I had not tried that either. Must have been hunger or better presentation :D

PS Spinning rod has 6lb line and have had a Pike to a guesstimated 20. Perch to 4lb.

Depends on the fish ................................!

Caught a few large trout in my time :evil:

ive hooked a few tiddlers.........but theyre no use.....always chuck em back and keep the big one :p

Sponsored Links
Back