Fly fishing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.....I do a bit of course fishing, and my spouse and i are going to stay on a farm in north yorkshire and there is a trout beck runs by the farm but it is fly fishing only. I would love to fish this beck but have no fly fishing tackle.

Would i be able to use my course fishing tacle to fish the beck if i used a fly bait. ?

The beck is only narrow and there are trees either side which would make it difficult to cast with fly fishing tackle. Come on you fishermen take me apart! cheers,

mickcoulson

Sponsored Links
Well, if you are going to use coarse (sic) fishing tackle, are you just going to dangle the fly on the water ?

no probs doing that , try to be aware that certain insects land on water, at certain times of the year, try to imitate that creature at that time of month, weather, temp, lighting, air pressure, river speed,depth also changes things, to answer your question, yes, and go for it.

Sponsored Links
to answer your question properly. not really. Without a fly real and a fly rod you will struggle a tad. The action of the rod is crucial to the casting especially with fly patterns. You don't however say what rod you are planning to take? be it a 5lb tc cat tamer or a 13ft light match rod :/
The reel is moor important still, although if you have a trotting reel as i do for those lively river runs with an avon float bobbing down the white water then that might surfice, otherwise you will struggle immensely.
Its quite common of course for a venue to hire equipment where required, but if you've never fly fished before i recommend some tuition before hand.
I'm not much of a fly fisherman personally, but its good fun sometimes.

to answer your question properly. not really. Without a fly real and a fly rod you will struggle a tad. The action of the rod is crucial to the casting especially with fly patterns. You don't however say what rod you are planning to take? be it a 5lb tc cat tamer or a 13ft light match rod :/
The reel is moor important still, although if you have a trotting reel as i do for those lively river runs with an avon float bobbing down the white water then that might surfice, otherwise you will struggle immensely.
Its quite common of course for a venue to hire equipment where required, but if you've never fly fished before i recommend some tuition before hand.
I'm not much of a fly fisherman personally, but its good fun sometimes.
it would be a 13ft rod with a centre pin reel

Sponsored Links
Back