Convert Vista to XP?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy a used PC that comes with Vista installed, I'd like to wipe the drive and install XP Pro (SP3). Will this compromise the PC in any way. Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Sponsored Links
Compromise it, heck it will make it a lot faster :D :D

Just ensure you keep the license etc if there is one so you can put it back when needed.

Sponsored Links
Compromise it, heck it will make it a lot faster :D :D

Sorry, I've got absolutely nothing constructive to say here but that made me laugh!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Must admit, my niece has Vista on her laptop and I quite often lose the will to live waiting on it doing anything.

Andy,
It can be done but not quite as simple as removing Vista and installing XP.
You see, Vista will not delete itself, obviously.

Dozens of posts where some have done it and others have failed:
http://tinyurl.com/pcqprt

One suggestion (from me) why not set it upi as a dual boot with both systems on it? If it is high spec, then it will have plenty of room for two Operating Systems.

dave

Yes I'd be inclined to go for daves suggestion too.

installing vista on will now likely be easiest if you put it through an MRI scanner... Oh no - thats getting rid of AOL :D

I wish I could go back to XP on my laptop, but I cant find ll the drivers.

Now Ubuntu (Linux) seems to work - I just need to make some space for it :D

I've dual booted a few vista/xp pc's.
Personally i'd always prefer to use 2 hdds, rather than partition a single drive, especially as you already have vista on the drive; you'd have more success if you installed xp THEN vista on the same drive.
However with 2 drives, i just disconnect the vista one, install the new one and format with XP, then re-connect the vista drive.
Next time you boot up it will either default to vista (usually) or you can press F11/F12 or whatever the bootstrap key is on your pc and choose which os to use.

Seemples! :)

until it goes wrong. :(

I must still be the only out here that likes Vista and has had no problems :confused:

Mind you I never upgrade any operating system, only ever buy a new pc and keep what ever it is designed for and supplied with. Don't know if that makes any difference.

I have had a couple of programs that won't run with Vista, but just downloaded or bought the newer versions.

Sponsored Links
Back