Converted roof space concerns cut trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D8B89057-1574-4893-980C-20700D342A72.jpeg
FD78049B-E06C-47D2-AB56-CDC601023D1B.jpeg

91C55EED-182F-4346-9D94-2C93331A89BC.jpeg
13CD5FAC-B66D-4558-83D5-86348D2B6F94.jpeg

Hopefully posting this in right forum. Viewed a house with converted roof space which has a fixed staircase.
Information regarding building regs non-compliance would be appreciated. As would opinion on cut roof trusses above staircase ceiling aperture and in front of doorway to unconverted attic.

Sponsored Links
109, good evening.

Note this is your first post if no one else does welcome to the board.

I think this is the correct forum.

Several questions I would be considering, in no order of importance?

1/. Is there a sign of by Building Control?
2/. The stair appears quite steep? do you have to lower your head when exiting the loft room?
3/. The " cut" timbers are supported on very flimsy bearing?
4/. An "observation" ? The plasterboard around the sloping timbers are poorly fitted.

i have seen a couple of this style of roof, not all that common up here in Scotland one of the examples i inspected had a very weak joint between the sloping timbers and the ridge, it was a simple bolt + washers, on the one I saw one side of the sloping beams had sheared at the ridge, where the sloping timber had in effect pulled through and sheared the top end of the sloping timber.

Hopefully there will be more posts from members who know more about the English building Regs?

Ken.

"building regs non-compliance"? How long have you got?

The staircase is a complete no-no for a start (eg too steep; risers should not be completely open).
Worst point is the cut trusses - absolutely insane;
They probably haven't installed a proper floor;
Thermal insulation to the roof?;
Means of escape/ protected escape route? Staircase should not be located in a bedroom;
No sane person would use that loft for a kids' bedroom - too dangerous.

As you suspect, there will be no building regs certificate. You can get a regularization from the council, but in the end it will cost you £££££££s to make it compliant. Even if you bought the house as it is, when you eventually come to sell, the same problems will crop up. Personally, I'd run a mile.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for your comments.
Clearly a financial risk taking this house on as it stands but if I could get a reduction in price based on the costs of reinstating the attic space to its original form what should I budget for ballpark?

Or the extent of the remedial work required so I can enquire locally on costs.

Your question is understandable but?

It is exceptionally difficult to get even ball park numbers without having a look in person.

Concern is what would building control and planning have to say?

Also there defects above that are visible, if the cowboy that did this has hidden some other shall I call it Dodgy work? it could be that you are looking at a lot more in remedial cost and a load of work to rectify unseen bodges?

My preference no matter just how "right" your intended property is as far as location appearance Etc. I would walk away, indeed i would in fact run?

The older Anglo Saxon version from which the above phrase springs was known as WYF?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back