Converted to combi now poor heating ??

scatmanjohn said:
You don't have to cut the pipe, just undo the two fittings connecting the pipes and fasten the cap ends on to the nut & olive that is left on the pipe.

Don't worry the boiler will soon shut down if there is no flow around the system.

Do you know how to drain the water out of the system first.

Yes I used wrong wording, I was just going to undo those compression joints and cap them and yes I can drain system... do you think two of those pipes should be returned and he has linked wrong ones?

I am going to lift some boards tomorrow and see what pipes are heading where... If it does not work I will do a drawing..

I guess pipes are old bath supply, combi supply and return, mains feed to upstairs loft, supply of cold water to old cylinder, what am i missing ???

Sponsored Links
I agree with Agile on this,it sounds to me he has by passed a few rads on his flow and return.
You need to insist he comes back and gets it sorted,after all its a job you have paid for.

Jesus H Christ, just seen the photos,the guy is a DIY er.

Garfeild said:
I agree with Agile on this,it sounds to me he has by passed a few rads on his flow and return.
You need to insist he comes back and gets it sorted,after all its a job you have paid for.

he is not interested, he thinks I should get it properly tested by an expert etc etc obviously he latched onto fact vokera engineer was last on job so it would just turn into a bun fight... easier to accept a mistake and get it corrected..

Sponsored Links
Garfeild said:
Jesus H Christ, just seen the photos,the guy is a DIY er.

oi thats my house your slagging lol .... It does look a bit iffy me thinks.. I might post a picture after I have finished with it ...

That pipework may not look very pretty but its nothing unusual!

The only question is which pipe is which!

One assumes the installer has been paid and is fully qualified ( CORGI ? ) for what he was doing. If not then that may give you the upper hand.

For him to suggest you get an expert implies he knows his limitations. I would agree that you need an expert and a budget of about £200 might be about right if its easy to put right which is what I expect.

In my view HE should be paying for putting right his inadequacies. That may mean taking him to Court, assuming you know his name and address!

Your only problem may be getting an expert. The IPHE has some older members who act as consultants. Some of them have an inflated view opf their worth though and are accustomed to charging £600-£900 per day for acting as expert witnesses.

Let us know how you get on.

Tony

Try replacing the straight connector with a gatevalve. That way if it happens to be a wrong move you can just close it again or use it as a bypass.

report him to corgi they seem to be investigating poor workmanship and leaving customers without proper working appliances now.

worth a try as we found this out the other day when a lady phoned us with a non working gas fire that was 8 months that someone had fitted and hadnt worked from day 1 apparently.

puuma2 said:
scatmanjohn said:
You don't have to cut the pipe, just undo the two fittings connecting the pipes and fasten the cap ends on to the nut & olive that is left on the pipe.

Don't worry the boiler will soon shut down if there is no flow around the system.

Right I capped off both pipes, radiators upstairs got very warm ..very very warm, the downstairs started to show some heat but the boiler cycles and pumps cold round system, never felt upstairs rad like that before.

The supply pipe to upstairs does tee off to downstairs so not sure why its not heating equal, I am going to try and put a gate valve in and join pipes up as I am wondering could there be a balance point between cycling and heating house..

Right system has been fully drained, refilled and the loop pipe has been broken with a gate valve now... here is the next problem all the radiators downstairs are still warm to cold but at the inlet valve on all rads the valves are very warm ? would this be normal and I have just not noticed it, or could rads be so blocked ? whats your thoughts guys

what your problem could be is the installer could have have cut his flow and return pipework into the downstairs circuit therfore if u find one rad downstairs getting hot and the pipework(from drop internal in wall) could be micro bore it will barly circulate only a few rads getting hot upstairs good luck :rolleyes:

daden said:
what your problem could be is the installer could have have cut his flow and return pipework into the downstairs circuit therfore if u find one rad downstairs getting hot and the pipework(from drop internal in wall) could be micro bore it will barly circulate only a few rads getting hot upstairs good luck :rolleyes:

system is 15mm... the two 22mm that rise upstairs are teed into and returned downstairs from just above the boiler downstairs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back