converter sockets in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I am wanting to convert my 3 single sockets in kitchen to doubles using the "converter type" 2 are a straight change over 1 is below work top and needs lifting up 1 foot- was going to put junction box on extend cables and fit a double either using converter type or new double.
Does this need part p or can I just change 2 of the 3 and leave the one below as a single without regs?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use those converter types, better to chase out and use a decent brand normal one.
It is a bit of an awkward one re notification,
if you class it as "any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of—
(i) any new fixed cabling; or

(ii) a consumer unit;

" then it isn't notifiable.

Extending cables will be notifiable.
Replacing the sockets in their existing positions will not be.

Nothing wrong with the converter sockets, certainly much easier to fit than chasing out the wall to fit new backboxes, although they do tend to be made of rather thin plastic.

If you want better quality sockets and don't mind them sticking out from the wall, then buy some of these:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/d190/sd2634/p80152 and fit whatever brand of socket you want.

Sponsored Links
By covertor socket - does it contain a fuse ? If so this is not very good for a kitchen if you are going to plug high current items into it (such as on a work top).

Or do you mean the double back boxes which screw to a single backbox ?

The O/P didn't ask whether this work is 'Notifiable' - he might well have meant that, but that isn't what he said. He asked, actually: "Does this need Part P"........ and further mentioned "without regs".

So the correct reply is yes, it does need Part P, because Part P requires that all household wiring should be safe and at least meet the fundamental requirements of BS7671 whether Notifiable or not.

So, firstly, he has to determine by some means, whether those existing single sockets are safe and sound, before tinkering with them.

Having done that, he's quite at liberty to convert the first two sockets, and the remaining socket could easily supply a raised multi-gang outlet simply by feeding it with a flexible cable and 13A plug directly from that single socket.

Lucia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back