Converting Car Port to Music Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like some advice on converting my current car port into a music room. The walls have recently been renewed with 3" planks between 2 brick pillars. The structure is very sound even though made of wood. I am going to close the front with double doors and then start on the inside.

This is where i need some help.

1. If i waterproof, insulate and then plasterboard the inside, do i need planning permission.

2. Has anyone got any ideas of the best way to soundproof the area. I was looking at some type of insulation between the outside wood and inside plasterboard.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This will either be permitted development if you have PD rights (google or search this forum) or will require formal planning approval - and will require building regulation approval.

You not just talking sound proofing, but damp-proofing too - what happens to the floor, condensation prevention from the roof, ventilation, heating? Its not just something you could knock together in an ad-hoc fashion.

It sounds like you have a "fence" between the two brick piers, which is hardly a basis for an external wall to a building :eek:

the problem you have is you need MORE layers of insulation and other materials than a fully compliant building to deaden the sound so you actualy have to go beyond the major part of the building regs anyway

is you have a plastic or metal roof and you fully enclose the area you will need to insulate the roof to stop the terrible condensation you get in the cold months it falls like rain
water dropletts that run down the underside of the roof and fall off where somthing touches it like the supporting timber

Sponsored Links
Cold , rusty kit and bad acoustics come to mind.

Search this forum for garage conversion for some methods of converting to a room

Don’t underestimate the level of acoustic insulation you will need to avoid driving your neighbours absolutely bonkers with those drums. Sound will find its way through the slightest nooks & crannies so both the building & sound insulation must completely seal the room to be effective; what you’re proposing doesn’t sound like it will fit the bill!

Thanks all

Just moved to a new house and nowhere to put drums so thought might be able to create an area but too much needed. Easier to build a brick buiding

Thanks all

Just moved to a new house and nowhere to put drums so thought might be able to create an area but too much needed. Easier to build a brick buiding

Unless your really intent on totally alienating your new neighbours, that makes a lot of sense. ;)

You could block up the wall between the pillars and go from there. Couple of layers of ply atop a sturdy roof structure and felted, then a complete seperate building inside this outer shell, with it's own seperate ceiling. A big undertaking all in all, and pricey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back