Converting flat roof from cold to warm roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the many little gems I've come across when renovating my house is that my flat roof is a cold roof - the insulation sits directly upon the plasterboard with a gap above between the insulation and actual roof.

I'm contemplating converting this to a warm roof as I may as well do it now whilst all the other work is going on and am trying to decide upon the best way to do it.

Would it work to fit new insulation tight to the underside of the roof instead of removing the felt and going over the top? My concern here is that I'd still be limited to going between the joists which doesn't seem ideal.

I could theoretically run the vapour barrier under the insulation and under the joists to provide an uninterrupted vapour line, but would have to screw through this to fix the plasterboard which seems like it will defeat the whole point of a vapour seal. Would this make a difference?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back