converting garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a single garage that is set back from the house (not attached)
it is single skin brickwork with pillars at each end and in the middle of each wall. it has a garge door (obviously)

i need to convert it to make extra room desperatly.

the floor is concrete slab. i was gonna put down a layer of dpm and build a shallow raised timber floor so i can add insualtion.

what is the best way of turning the room into a habitable space. i was thinking timber frame as opposed to b.blocks, so i don;t need to add foundations.

also i need to run a soil pipe from one end of the garage to the other , outside and tap into drains. can i chop up the concrete slab just about 150mm width to drop in a 110mm pipe?

thanks matt

Sponsored Links
you seem to have the walling sussed, what about the roof?

no problem with the soil pipe, just remember to protect it if it passes through any walls.

as a pointer you will need to achieve a 'u' value of 0.33 for the walls.

your building control officer or architect should happily advise. ;)

it has a flat roof that was re-felted 4 yrs ago... seems okay so gonna leave it. this can always be replaced years down the line. thought abut putting a truss roof on but was concerned about the load and the single brick.

also there are no planners involved. i was just gonna do it and chance my arm. i will record with photos everything i do so if the sticky stuff ever hits the fan i can at least show it was done correctly. what you think?

so timber frame floor laid onto the slab seems okay? with a dpm in between?

i am gonna brick up the garage door so i willl need to put in a strip footing won't i?

matt

you would be better off (for 'u' values) using 75mm celotex and a floating t&g floor.

i would advise using a strip footing for the frontage, yes.

i would also strongly advise insulating the roof as well. this is where all the heat will end up. again use celotex, kingspan or similar. it can all be done from below using a cold deck method. it will mean filling the void but leaving an air gap and underdrawing the ceiling with a thinner section insulation board too.

oh, and a vapour barrier also.

Sponsored Links
thanks...
can't really go for a floatin floor due to the head height. i was hoping a dpm under joists for floor would stop any damp and i could always insulate between floor jists.

would this need planning permission to convert garage or just b.regs. i'm not planning on either ... do you think this could cause problems with any future planning applications for an extension

ta

Why do you say floor joists? You could put down DPM, insulating slaps, floating floor which would take up less height.

matt73 said:
thanks...
can't really go for a floatin floor due to the head height. i was hoping a dpm under joists for floor would stop any damp and i could always insulate between floor jists.

would this need planning permission to convert garage or just b.regs. i'm not planning on either ... do you think this could cause problems with any future planning applications for an extension

ta

Without building regs you will only have a house with seperate garage if you ever sell the house. With building regs you will be selling a house with seperate annexe.

When you apply for the extension to be done, if the bco notices that you are using the garage as a habitable room then you could be in trouble. Depends on when you want to add the extension, in ten years time for example and he probably won't care.

But consider this. Applying for regs on the garage, and doing it to spec, will give you valuable experience when doing the extension, which could save you time and money in the long run.

okay thanks...

so what is a floating floor. are you suggesting dpm, insulating slabs (of what???), with a floating floor?

matt

matt73 said:
so what is a floating floor. are you suggesting dpm, insulating slabs (of what???), with a floating floor?

dpm, slabs of cellotex insulation then 600x1200mm chipboard flooring, edges glued, laid directly onto the inso'. i'm not fond of chipboard t&g flooring but in this case it will be the best product.

Done the same thing to my garage in my old house years ago before the insulation regs came in. My main issue was with planning permission - if you are bricking up the garage does that not constitute change of appearance? Not an expert, but it may help just to check.

Willa said:
Done the same thing to my garage in my old house years ago before the insulation regs came in. My main issue was with planning permission - if you are bricking up the garage does that not constitute change of appearance? Not an expert, but it may help just to check.

i don't think planning will be too bothered so long as you're sympathetic with the choice of cosmetic materials. if on the other hand you wish to use the building as a business or even a separate address, then they will come sniffing.

p.s the separate address thing was said tongue in cheek, but you get the idea. it does fall under building regulations though.

If your putting in a new soil pipe, this needs to be approved and will need to be inspected and tested before it is covered underground (not sure about planning for this). Depending how close this garage is to your house you may have a challenge venting it too (600mm above nearest window if within xx metres, BCO or someone else here maybe, will confirm what the xx distance is as I don't recall off hand). You should also check your deeds for restrictions and covenants.

bathjobby said:
(600mm above nearest window if within xx metres, BCO or someone else here maybe, will confirm what the xx distance is as I don't recall off hand). You should also check your deeds for restrictions and covenants.

900mm above openable window if the window is within 2m of the stack.

probably.

the wc will be vented via a stub stack boxed in and vented. i don't intend gettin regs etc and am not considering advertising it as extra bedroom.... its just going to be for the kids.

***just had an idea***

think i'll put a macerator in and save all the effort of chopping out and fiitng manholes. b.c can't really complain then when they come looking at the future extension.

i didn't realise you could lay slabs and chipboard straight onto a dpm... i suppose this would save a bit of headroom. do i need to lap up the dpm over the insulation.

also i will probably fit the timber stub work walls first to the floor otherwise i won't be able to fix the sole plate to anything.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back