Converting part of a garage to a utility - does it need to conform to building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have an existing garage which is adjacent to the property. We want to convert part of it to a utility room and create a door from the house into the garage/utility room.

Would the part of the garage being converted to a utility room need to comply with building regs?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
In short, yes. Best advice is to contact your local Planning office and ask them and they will tell you everything you need to know.

Thank you. I understand the need for it to be safe from a fire perspective, damp, etc, but needing it to be fully insulated etc seems a bit much - would materially increase the cost I assume

Sponsored Links
They were not helpful... they just sent this generic response. Very frustrating:

For an indication of whether planning permission is likely to be required, please see our online checker Get advice before you build or do home improvements | Buckinghamshire Council (under “services we offer” section).

You may also find the following guidance helpful: Do you need permission? - Do you need permission? - Planning Portal and Permitted development rights for householders: technical guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) .

You are also able to check on our website if Planning is required by using the following link Check if you need planning permission | Buckinghamshire Council

Yes it would need Building Control Approval, just because it's only a part conversion makes no difference.

I understand the need for it to be safe from a fire perspective, damp, etc,
And drainage, resistance to moisture, accessibility..
needing it to be fully insulated etc seems a bit much
You said you want to connect it to the house. Unless you want to treat it like a conservatory and have an external door separating it, you need to make it part of the warm envelope of the house

They were not helpful... they just sent this generic response. Very frustrating:

For an indication of whether planning permission is likely to be required, please see our online checker Get advice before you build or do home improvements | Buckinghamshire Council (under “services we offer” section).

You may also find the following guidance helpful: Do you need permission? - Do you need permission? - Planning Portal and Permitted development rights for householders: technical guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) .

You are also able to check on our website if Planning is required by using the following link Check if you need planning permission | Buckinghamshire Council

Did you contact Building control or planning? It's building control who deal with building regulations?
We had an existing utility area at the back of our garage when we bought the house ( 1960s)
It was single brick and had no insulation or heating. Wasn't a useable space at all.
We looked at building regs and the part that applied was " bringing a room into the thermal envelope of the main house"
The building inspector who came out asked what we were going to use it for. We were replacing the existing toilet ( in what was the old coal house we think, as once we removed 3 inches of soft plaster we discovered a solid brick wall tied into the main garage wall, and the door was like an old coal house door), adding kitchen cabinets and wanted it heated, so it had to meet building regs for insulation and fire safety etc.
Would imagine that as you're going to connect it to the main house I think it will need to meet building regs.
They were flexible re the amount of insulation in the floor and roof to allow for enough head height, but in the walls we had to have the full works.
Quotes we got were ridiculous and none of them mentioned building regs , nor did they specify how much insulation they were going to put in, or installing a new fire door into the garage.
Apart from electrics , plumbing and plastering we did it ourselves. Steep learning curve , but at least we know it's been done correctly.

Would the part of the garage being converted to a utility room need to comply with building regs?
if you want it to be compliant yes

if you dont, crack on

theres a double garage a few doors down from me -when the door is open its possible to half of it is separated with a stud wall etc, with pipework and electrics -thats a common way of doing it -just leave the door as is and build what you want inside

but if you do that, you need to knock it down if you sell really

We are getting the whole house redone so the building inspector will definitely be coming around. whatsthenews - sounds like a big effort :(

I don't think we necessarily need heating in there, I don't think it will be big enough to dry clothes in to be honest

We are getting the whole house redone so the building inspector will definitely be coming around. whatsthenews - sounds like a big effort :(

I don't think we necessarily need heating in there, I don't think it will be big enough to dry clothes in to be honest
what do you want to use it for? What's going in there? Just the washing machine ? If that's the case and nobody's going to be going in and out a lot to check clothes in a dryer or use the loo, then is it worth the expense of connecting it to the house?
We've just got rid of the garage door at my elderly parents and replaced it with a door and 2 windows and partitioned off the front of the garage where the door into the kitchen is. We stuck a bit of insulation in the new stud partition and under the OSB we've put down on the floor, but there's no heating in there and no hot water or sink , so it really is just a room for the washer and dryer and a bit of storage .The sun shines in there all day now ( if it's out) so it's much warmer than when it was the garage and better for my mum/ carers/ us.

Perhaps strive for an improved clothes drying strategy than "leave it around the house"
You would be surprised - where we live we saw plenty of houses between the £1.5-1.75mm mark and most of them had utility rooms that were too small to ever actually hang up washing in

Probably because someone dropping that much on a house wouldn't balk at 500+ quid for a heat pump tumble dryer!

Washing around the house is a primary source of potential damp, and should be avoided

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back