converting pond to children play sand area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

we have a smallish pond in back garden, about 3.5 m by 2.5m. it was done by previous owner and has filters with suction at bottom. i am not 100% sure but pretty sure that side walls are lined and not concrete.

we have struggled to keep pond filter clean with a little one in house and other things going on. plus with little one in garden we obviously cant leave pond as it is. if we cover it, i might as well get rid of it for now. plus this year we have lots of frogs.

how can i convert this into the children playsand area. what sort of drainage i need at bottom and sides? ideally i would like to keep it such that the suction pipes at bottom and sides are somehow covered and protected in case we ever want to have pond back in future.

ta

Sponsored Links
Frogs are a good thing! They keep down the number of slugs in your garden too, great creatures to have around and your child will benefit from the contact with nature. Please try to keep the habitat if you can.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
You won't stop the frogs by filling it with sand either. They seem to have an instinct to return to where they spawned and hatched. I built a shed over an old concrete pond and put a trapdoor in the floor to use the space for storage. For several years after the pond had been drained the frogs were still returning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back