Converting roof space in older building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at a property to convert. At present it has two small rooms in the roof space one at either end of the building each accessed via its own spiral staircase. This leaves a large portion of the roof space unused, at present the this middle part of the building is opened up to the roof.

My plan would be to remove the spiral staircases and extend the floor right the way across.

My question is at present there are two big wooden roof trusses that have tie beam running at a height of approx 1200mm. is it possible to:

A) remove the tie beams to either open up the space entirely allowing me to divide into whatever room sizes I like or

B) At least cut a doorway through the tie beams.

I appreciate that the tie beams are there to stop the roof spreading, I'm just not sure if my plans are feasible or cost effective.

Sponsored Links
Your proposals are feasible. Typically in a loft conversion when you remove the tie's you install a beam at floor on each side and maybe a ridge beam to support the rafters thus removing the spreading issue.

If cost effective or not is a whole other matter very difficult to answer on a forum or with the information provided here.

If you throw enough money at something, pretty much anything is possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back