Converting two zone to single zone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per a previous post, I have a new build two zone system which I think you professionals would class as an "S" configuration. In the air cupboard I have three valves for the downstairs, another for the hot water (both controlled byTP9000) and an upstairs zone independently controlled by a TP4000.

I'm getting a professional install of a Nest system to replace the TP9000 for the downstairs radiators and hot water but they only seem keen on completing a single zone install or charge for a second Nest. I can't see the point of an upstairs zone as it's only a small 3 bed semi so I'd like to have the upstairs heating to come on at the same time as the downstairs. The only extra work would be to fit a TRV to the master bedroom radiator. Is there an easy way to link the two zone valves in the airing cupboard so that both open when the Nest commands the downstairs one to open ?

Oh and the main reason for switching to a Nest is that I am away a lot at random times. So the facility to remotely turn on/off the heating and hot water or even use the geo function might save me money. If the upstairs zone is still on a traditional programmer with no "holiday" mode then it might be on for days while I'm away.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for coming he reply but I'm slightly confused. If I set the manually set the valve to permanently open and disconnect the CH on, the zone would get heat when the downstairs zone is in. But won't it also get heat when the HW is on? I think I need a method of the upstairs valve opening when the downstairs valve opens. Presumably I could go into the junction box and find the downstairs thermostat input and link it to the upstairs valve (disconnecting the upstairs thermostat) so both valves work togetherness.

Sponsored Links
Yea sorry wasn't thinking :) as you say link both the browns together on the two c/heating valves and they will both open on a call for heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back