converting vented to sealed system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house has a loft conversion and for one reason or another the pump over pumps on anything over number 1 into the feed/expansion tank.

I've got the filling loop plumbed in, not need to fit the vessel and valve.

I presume it's a case of:

draining the feed header tank and removing pipes, cap the tank's feed at the cold water tank.

Replace the 22mm tee feeding the circulating pump with an elbow to 'remove' the vent pipe and use what's left of the old 15mm tank feed pipe just before the pump to connect to the valve and expansion vessel?

Add an emergency pressure release pipe to outside (curved back toward the wall)

I'm sure it's easier to do that describe...

What's the best way of flushing the system of what must be several years of crud? Don;t really want it getting onto the new valve/vessel...

Thanks,

Neil.

Sponsored Links
The house has a loft conversion and for one reason or another the pump over pumps on anything over number 1 into the feed/expansion tank.

I've got the filling loop plumbed in, not need to fit the vessel and valve.

I presume it's a case of:

draining the feed header tank and removing pipes, cap the tank's feed at the cold water tank.

Replace the 22mm tee feeding the circulating pump with an elbow to 'remove' the vent pipe and use what's left of the old 15mm tank feed pipe just before the pump to connect to the valve and expansion vessel?

Add an emergency pressure release pipe to outside (curved back toward the wall)

I'm sure it's easier to do that describe...

What's the best way of flushing the system of what must be several years of crud? Don;t really want it getting onto the new valve/vessel...

Thanks,

Neil.

Bump...

Boiler MUST have A Latching Overheat Stat a pressure relief valve & an EXPANSION VESSEL as said I realy do hope this is a wind up!!! and if it isn't i hope you are not the guy next door! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Boiler MUST have A Latching Overheat Stat a pressure relief valve & an EXPANSION VESSEL as said I realy do hope this is a wind up!!! and if it isn't i hope you are not the guy next door! :eek:

Sorry guys. Not a wind up.

This is what was recommended to me by a fully qualified (or so I thought)plumber...

The boiler is a Glowworm Flexicom 24FX, and because it is a 'normal' condensing boiler, to convert from vented to sealed heating system I was told he'd need to fit an external expansion vessel and pressure relief valve.

I was specifically told the boiler would not need to be changed (as it was pretty much brand new)

If this is wrong, then I've been seriously misinformed by a professional.

Sorry if I came on here with some wrong information, but that it why this site is good...to get advice from all corners.

So are you saying it's impossible to convert from a vented to a sealed system with external pressure relief valve and vessel? If that's the case, why are they made and sold?? (not being difficult, just genuinely interested)

Cheers,

Neil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back