Cooker - AEG 49332I-MN & Belling FSE60i - cable rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking in to purchasing one of the above cookers and before it's too late i want to do my home work and check the suitability of the MCB and cable i have. I would appreciate a trained eye/advise please.

The last thing i want is to buy one and then not be able to use it without some upgrading needed.

I'm comparing both the cookers listed above, both ovens are free standing twin cavity electric with electric induction hobs.

I've tried to get all the information from the user manuals online but neither of them seem to give enough information to be sure on committing.

Firstly the AEG gives no overall rating, but does give wattage of the induction hob as 4 x 2300W - 3200W, it says it should be installed with 6mm CSA cable.

The Belling has more info and says the overall rating is 10466W - 12455W, with the hob listed at 1.85KW, 1.85KW, 1.4KW & 2.3KW with 3.0, 3.0, 2.2 & 3.7KW respectively when on 'boost'. It says to install with 6mm CSA cable and use an MCB of 32A minimum.

Now of course the load the cable can safely carry will vary of the distance, route etc.
I have a with a spit load consumer unit with RCD protection. The MCB for the cooker is 32A, it has 6mm CSA Twin & earth cable (i've double checked the CSA), which runs over 8-10 meters max, including what will be from the connection unit in the wall to the cooker connection terminal. Two thirds are in oval tubing under plaster the middle part runs through joists in the floor.

Questions,

1) Although the belling states 6mm and 32A is this ok, over the length of run i have?

2) Will 32A be ok for the AEG? I've even asked AEG but they have not got back to me yet much which doesn't' really help, i suspect it might need a 40A MCB. Maybe i can check the rating plate on the back in a shop!

Thanks
Kevin.

Sponsored Links
6mm² on 32A mcb will be good, with 'diversity', for appliances up to 15kW but the cable must not run through any thermal insulation.

Diversity is an allowance based on the fact that not all loads will be on together because of the thermostats cycling.

6mm² on 32A mcb will be good, with 'diversity', for appliances up to 15kW but the cable must not run through any thermal insulation.

Diversity is an allowance based on the fact that not all loads will be on together because of the thermostats cycling.

Thanks, must try to find the AEG rating then... and hope its within 15KW

btw the cooker isolation switch doesn't have a socket which is a bonus 5% for the calculation

Sponsored Links
Finally heard back from AEG, they say,

"a 30 amp fuze. The connected load KW is 10.2" (obviously mean fuse!)

So looks like I'm ok. It does contradict the online review at john lewis, which says

"we got AEG's agents out. These guys were unhappy about connecting to a 30 amp fuse and said it needed 40 amps. They went back to check with AEG and a week later after being pressed they came and installed the cooker."

I quoted this to AEG and they reconfirmed 30amps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back