Cooker and Hob Worries! Need some Advice Quick.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace my old cooker with a Hotpoint SY36 Single Built in Cooker and E6014 Ceramic Hob. At present i have a standard cooker with a single connection to my Cooker Outlet which runs on its own cable to a 32Amp fuse in my Consumer Unit. The booklets say i must connect both cooker and Hob separately so I spoke to a friend (ex electrician) and he says all i need do is disconnect the cable from my existing cooker and wire it to the HOB (its 4mm cable i think thicker than the ring main stuff) and wire the oven to a fused outlet on the ring main. The cooker capacity is 2250-2400W and the Hob Overall Power is 6700W. There is a column in the book that says Fuses Section and the cooker says 16A and the Hob 25A 2.5mm (squared). :eek: I am confused about this Fuse Section? My friend says that i should change my 32Amp fuse at the Consumer Unit feeding the Hob with a 25Amp Fuse but i cant see you can get one. Also what fuse must i put in the fused outlet for the cooker. Am i OK with 1.25mm cable from the cooker to the Fused Outlet which connects to the ring main? Just want to be 100% before i do anything. Any input appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
From what you say, I would contact a local electrician who actually knows what is required. BTW what is 1.25mm cable?

I would use the existing cooker point for the hob, and run a seperate 16A radial in 2.5mm² cable from the CU, with a 20A switch near the oven, preferably marked "oven"

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses and advise folks, impressed at the quick replies. I am about to rewire the ring next weekend as i was horrified to find the ring is a nightmare of spurs and junction boxes everywhere. I am surprised the previous occupant is still alive! I have taken advise and will be removing all the Junction boxes and doing a fresh cable run from the CU to the first outlet on the ring and onto the next and so forth which i believe is logical and correct. The kitchen has very few outlets and the cooker is going into a corner. MY CU is the old type still using fuses but i am planning to get that replaced in a couple of months when i can afford it so can't run a separate 16A run for the Cooker right now. More advise tells me that the cooker can be plugged into standard ring main socket. I am going top put a hidden single socket to plug the cooker in and have a switch above the worktop to isolate it when required. At least rewiring the ring will allow me to add some sockets properly and safely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back