Cooker broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Smeg range cooker with two fan elements. They both stopped working at the same time and the cooker is now cold. I have removed the elements and checked resistance which is about 25 Ohms suggesting that the elements are not broken.

Does anyone have any idea what else might be the problem. There are no obvious wires hanging out from anywhere.

The gas hob works, the grill works and the oven fans turn - but there's no heat

The model is SUK91MFX5

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I have also checked the wiring to the elements with a multimeter and it shows no power being delivered to them.

The thermostat light works and youi can hear the thermostat click when the temperature control is switched on.

check overheat stat this will cut power to elements but not stat hence it lights up.

Sponsored Links
I have found the safety thermostat and checked the voltage on each pin with the cooker switched on - one is 240V and the other 0V suggesting there is no circuit.

When I short-out the thermostat by joining the pins the cooker makes a slight humming noise when switched on.

I have measured the voltage to the element with the safety termostat circuit open and closed and there in no voltage supplied to the element in each case.

When I disconnect and check the resistance of the safety thermostat there is no resistance suggesting it is an open circuit.

I'm a bit stumped now so any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

So there should be very little resistance on the O/h cutout.
If faulty you will not have a circuit !
With the cooker on, on the load side of the o/h what voltage do you have to an earth point, its only a make and brake switch. I'm not sure if your saying you have 240 either side of the switch when its on or not.

I have measured the voltage to the element with the safety termostat circuit open and closed and there in no voltage supplied to the element in each case.

Many thanks.
How have you done this ?its looking like o/h is faulty.

Thanks - the guy at the cooker spares shop suggested that I wire round the o/h thermostat thus removing it from the circuit - and when I did this there is no current measured to element (closed circuit) but the cooker makes a slight humming noise.

If I discopnnect it there is still no current to the elements (open circuit).

Cheers

Of being a complete pillock. All my measurements have been taken whilst the door has been removed from the cooker. I have now read on the Smeg website that power to elements is switched off if the door is open. I have ordered a new safety thermostat and will try again. DOH!

Thanks for all your help.

I'll post an update when the part arrives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back