Cooker cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a new free standing cooker from Curry’s and trying to determine the cable size that I require.

Details of energy consumption are attached.

I am seeing mixed opinions on forums, where some are suggesting a 6mm cable and others are 10mm.

It’s currently on a 32mm breaker and 6mm cable. The board has an RCD.

Also, do I use a T&E for the connection from cooker to the connection point or is there a more flexible cable I can use for this part of the installation?

Attachments

• 21CF764B-2883-422E-8E9E-17D908D3A0E4.jpeg
    21CF764B-2883-422E-8E9E-17D908D3A0E4.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
We could go on about diversity and other formulae, which may result in varying cable sizes and all that rubbish, but 6mm2 cable will be absolutely fine, and it is what every normal electrician would use.

As regards to the cable from the connection plate to the cooker, it was always standard to use T+E for this too - the stuff does flex relatively easily whilst maintaining most of it's shape.

Generally you wouldn't use T+E where flex would be used - but it's one of those things where everyone has always done it, and most continue to do it.

Personally I wouldn't worry about using it, in this case.

Sponsored Links
As the breaker is 32 amp 4mm2 cable would be OK and is more flexible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back