Cooker Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to connect a free-standing electric cooker to an existing cooker circuit. There is a connection unit that comes off the DP isolating switch so its just a matter of taking 6mm cable from here to the appropriate terminals at the back of the cooker.

My question is, what cable type should I use? Is there a flexible cable available in this size or should I use 'normal' grey t and e 6mm cable? DIY shops, including on-line ones, seem only to stock the latter. Is flex available in this size?

Sponsored Links
6mm and larger CSA flex is certainly available, although isn't common in DIY sheds. H07 10mmsq+ 5 core flex isn't uncommon on CEE17 3 phase leads, for example.

As TTC says, the manufacturers instructions will recommend a type of cable, although you don't need to follow their recommendation religously. If you're quite happy that the terminals and cable wont get hot or flexed on a regular basis then T+E should be fine.

Sponsored Links
The instructions just say 6mm cable.

I was going to allow 2m play, so that the cooker could be pulled out periodically to allow cleaning behind it. The cable shouldn't get disturbed otherwise. As for it getting too hot, I was going to try and ensure that it wasn't touching the back of the cooker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back