Cooker circuit queries: 4mm/6mm connectors etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have taken up a part of my kitchen floor this week in readiness for moving a radiator and in doing so I came across part of the cable to the cooker control switch.

Now it would appear that, at some date in the past, the cooker was moved form one side of the kitchen to the other, where it was much further away from the consumer unit. Dedicated radial circuit with 30A fuse. The original feed cable has been cut about 1/2 way along the kitchen and extended with an extra length of cable to the new switch location, the junction being made by a 30A choc-block covered in insulation tape! It seems to have survived unscathed, but I'm not happy about leaving it like that.

My options seem to be:-

1. Enclose the choc-block in a suitable enclosure.
2. Replace the choc-block by traditional screwed terminal circular JB.
3. Replace the choc-block by a 30A maintenance-free JB.

I would favour (1) as it avoids disturbing the existing connection, but so far I've not found an enclosure that is wide enough to fit over an existing 3-way 30A connector. Failing that I would choose (3), but at the moment the problem is that I can't tell whether it is 4mm or 6mm cable - and I don't have any sample pieces of either for comparison - and if it turns out to be 6mm then I can't find a MF JB designed to take 6mm.

Any thoughts please?

Sponsored Links
Just replace the cables with one length of new.

They make Wago connections to fit up to 4mm2 cable, and some to fit upto 6mm2 cable.

So the Wagos (221 series) rated up to 6mm2 should be fine.

The Wagos fit into a Wago box.

Pictures would help.

Sponsored Links
They make Wago connections to fit up to 4mm2 cable, and some to fit upto 6mm2 cable.
Indeed.

The Wagos fit into a Wago box. So the Wagos (221 series) rated up to 6mm2 should be fine.
If you want it to count as "maintinance free" you have to use an approved combination of Wagos and Box. To the best of my knowledge there is no Wagobox approved for use with the 221-6xx series.

However the Wagobox Classic and Wagobox XLA are approved with the 773-173 terminals. This gives an approved combination that supports 6mm²

Note that while the 773-173 is rated at 41A in accessible applications, the combination of Wagobox and 773-173 terminals used in MF applications is only rated at 32A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back