Cooker circuit spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have a cooker circuit that i`d like to use to supply the power to a conservatory that i`m building at the moment. The cooker circuit is being fed from a 32a mcb and terminates in a standard 13a double socket above the cooker. I have a gas cooker so the socket is only being used to power the ignition/clock.
I looked at previous posts regarding using the use of a dedicated cooker supply and spurring from this and I gather it is generally frowned upon but this really is my best option, its by a long way the nearest socket to the conservatory. Would it be possible to run a cable from this socket through the wall to a mini CU in the conservatory to supply a light and a couple of sockets?. Would I need to feed the mini CU with the same rated cable that feeds the cooker socket and then step down the cable to smaller cable out of the mini CU?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
just run a new cable from the CU and stop messing about..

at some point someone will decide they want a new cooker with an electric oven and / or hob and then you're screwed..

so do it right from the get go..

if you want I can pop round and advise.. it'll cost you a bacon buttie... :LOL:

Red or Brown Sauce?

I`d love to run a new cable from the CU but that would be a nightmare for loads of reasons, it really is my only straighforward option at the moment. It actually is the only socket on the whole of the back wall of the house, to spur from any other would mean ripping up newly laid laminate in the back bedroom or de-tiling the new kitchen and me missus aint too pleased about that so its kinda of the last resort....youre dead right though....i`m after the easy way out!! We don`t intend on ever moving and i love me gas cooker, I can run the cable from the CU in a couple of years as were planning some major improvements which will entail having the CU moved so it can be done then so I need a safe solution for the time being.

no need for a mini CU.. run a 2.5 radial from the back of the cooker socket and change the breaker / fuse in the CU down to a 20A max..

your lights can then be run from the radial via a fused spur with a 3A fuse in it..

oh and brown of course..

seriously, I'm out of work at the moment and if you're close enough don't mind poping in to advise..

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the help mate....i`m in Wednesbury by the way. Sorry to hear about your job situation at the moment....apparantly they were after some sparks for the Walsall Manor Hospital rebuild a few weeks ago, might be worth a try....the contractor is Skanska if i remember correctly.
The contractors working at my place in Wolves(nhs) also have a load of public sector work going on at the moment, i`ll try and grab a word with one of the gaffers tomorrow at work and see if they have anything available at the moment if you want?

I forgot to mention the circuit is wired in 6mm t&e, still no problem dropping down to 2.5 (apart from the fit!!)?

Why not just extend the circuit in 6mm², as a 30A radial supplying all the sockets and FCU(s) for the lights?

Is the circuit RCD protected?

Yeah, the circuit is rcd protected. Am i going to struggle to get two 6mm cables into a double socket?

It should be ok provided you use deep boxes and MK accessories (which have nice big terminals).

Sorry, one more question regardig the lighting FCU.......I have decided to extend the circuit in 6mm as BAS suggested but do I use 6mm up to the lighting FCU and then drop down to 1.5mm for the lighting cable or is it 6mm all the way?
Thanks

The cable has to be protected by the fuse supplying it. So, if you have a 32A device protecting the main circuit cable, that cable should be able to carry 32A, which 6mm² can.

Likewise, if you protect the cable with a 3/5A fuse (like you will at the spur for the light), that cable needs to be able to carry that load.

So, yes. 6 for the main circuit cable and 1.0 1.5 is fine for the lighting if you're fusing down to 3/5A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back