cooker control unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm putting in a buillt in oven and seperate hob and will have the cooker control unit (with a socket) situated in between, so will run seperate wires to each. The positioning means that the cooker control unit will situated above worktop. Are there any regulations controlling how high the unit must be above the worktop? In fact are there regulations controlling how high normal double sockets have to be above the worktop?

Any help would be most appreciated, am confused. :confused:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No rules as such, but guidelines suggest 30cm from taps, more if splashing is likely.
Any cooker isolator should be easily reached, even if a chip pan is on fire, so bear that in mind when positioning.
Make sure cables follow approved routes, or are protected.
regards M.
note that you should notify building control if starting this work this year, and they will charge to inspect your work if you do.

Thanks for that mapj1.

Any idea how much the inspection would cost, do they do a one off inspection at the end or in stages?

I'm afraid it depends on the region. I've started all my jobs last year, (oh yes I have) and haven't had to use notification yet. For moving a bathroom light fitting (Southampton/Romsey area building control) they did suggest £60 if I could get it tested, and provide them with a certificate, or nearer £200 if they had to find the electrician to do the test/inspection.
I simply decided to start the work last year. (I had indeed already marked the holes and bought all the bits in November.)
regards M.

Sponsored Links
mapj1 said:
they did suggest £60 if I could get it tested, and provide them with a certificate
And who did they say should carry out a test and provide a certificate?

My borough (Tonbridge & Malling) charges £75 + VAT for an application for work. This includes an inspection and then testing when its finished. It seems the borough uses contrators to come out and do the inspection/testing and I assume they are certified electricians.

Do the regulations only affect work that was started after Jan 1st 2005, so if you did do work, even a small amount, before that date you could continue and finish it without having to comply with the new regulations :confused:

cstokes said:
Do the regulations only affect work that was started after Jan 1st 2005, so if you did do work, even a small amount, before that date you could continue and finish it without having to comply with the new regulations :confused:
Yup, as long as you finish by March 31st...

Which of course you will, even if you have to work every spare hour for the next 5 years to get it done by april

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back