Cooker glass top replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How easy is to replace glass top job in a free standing cooker?
My friend has broken her cooker glass top and apparently ordered a new one and ask me if I could replace it. I'm not sure what model it is yet.

Sponsored Links
stardanny, good evening.

OK a lot depends on manufacturer, just looked at mine and it appears to be a "unit" containing heating elements and it wraps over the body of the cooker

i would have imagined if I had dropped something on to the cooker top that would be an Insurance claim? the Insurer would probably replace the cooker? @ [say] £ 600 as opposed to the Excess of [say] £ 150 / £250 ?

Suggest you go forearmed, find out the precise model and have a look on U-Tube a load of [at times] good info there.

Problem as i see it will be disconnecting the wiring and re-attaching it, unless it is a "loom" ?

Ken.

Depends exactly what it is she has, could be a lift up glass top on hinges so no elements involved if you are lucky.

Electric or gas cooker? The latter being classed as gas work = you can’t do it.

Sponsored Links
stardanny, good evening.

OK a lot depends on manufacturer, just looked at mine and it appears to be a "unit" containing heating elements and it wraps over the body of the cooker

i would have imagined if I had dropped something on to the cooker top that would be an Insurance claim? the Insurer would probably replace the cooker? @ [say] £ 600 as opposed to the Excess of [say] £ 150 / £250 ?

Suggest you go forearmed, find out the precise model and have a look on U-Tube a load of [at times] good info there.

Problem as i see it will be disconnecting the wiring and re-attaching it, unless it is a "loom" ?

Ken.

I have successfully replaced it. Surprise it was easy to do, remove the front control panel, just enough to access the screws for the top, unscrew four screws, lift the top slightly to disconnect the loom multiplugs and remove it. The elements is secured on the hob by retaining brackets, undo that and lift all 4 elements at same time as it all connected and I don’t want to disconnect it ( had a friend help me move over to new hob ) and refix back in cooker. Checked all working. I don’t understand how the glass hob didn’t break by the heat?

Top tip I learned, Mark out where the elements mounting holes is before lifting up the brackets, it has lot of holes and I wasn’t sure which holes to use, luckily there is sign of where it was before. Happy girl, she is.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back