Replacing gas cooker - queries on hot zone and extractor

5 Aug 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom

We are in the process of ordering a new cooker.

We currently have an old (~30 years!) 55cm free standing all gas cooker with eye level grill.

We cannot fit a 60cm, and 50cm would leave a large gap, so we're very limited in the models we can choose. Especially as we are restricted to gas only as we don't have a 32A cooker circuit at all.

As such, we're looking at the Zanussi ZCG43250 range. But I have a couple of questions as I don't want the fitters to say they can't install it when they arrive.

So firstly, I was looking at the installation requirements on John Lewis...

Screenshot_20210105-224902_Samsung Internet.jpg

The issue I have is that although there is a 2cm gap either side of the oven, due to the layout of the kitchen, the gap on the right is actually much larger - but the counter top over hangs by a large amount, and the gap between the counter top and top of the cooker is less than 2cm.

Will that be an issue? Or does the (laminate) counter top not matter?

Secondly, regarding the hot zone above the hob...

I'm aware it needs to be free of things that can melt...

Currently there's about 6" of tile, and the rest is wallpaper! Obviously with an eye level grill the cooker has a back that makes this less of an issue.

However, our chosen model is not an eye level grill, so we are looking at getting a glass or steel splashback (90cm wide).

Provided it is secure, can it be placed OVER the wallpaper? Or must the wallpaper come off first.

Thirdly, about 5' above the cooker we have a basic room extractor fan.

We are going to replace this with a hood, and have decided to go with a 90cm Zanussi ZHV94750. It mentions that an extractor kit is not supplied, but I'm struggling to find what I might need.

That said, would I be correct in thinking that I just put the chimney of the new hood over the existing extractor vent (thankfully it's mounted directly above the centre line of the cooker) and then just connect a hose between the hood and the vent?

Lastly, it looks like we'll be ordering through - so the hood will come at the same time as the cooker, but will be installed by me after the gas fitter has left.

We hope to have the splashback installed before the fitter arrives, but if we don't, can be refuse to fit the cooker, even if we have it there to be fitted?

Because I will need to pull the existing cooker out to fit the splashback.
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Given that you can instal a gas hob into a laminate work top I can't see why that should be an issue.
Yes you should be able to fit a hose as you describe but you may need adapeters to suit the possible different diameters.
Personally I would go for the stainless steel, which usually have a heat proof insert in the back of them, over glass then you do not have to worry about future decor decisions or removing current paper..
Look here at the ducting section for adapters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links