Cooker/hob cable sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm installing a new kitchen and want to run the new cooker cables under the floor/in the walls before getting a sparky in to hook it all up and into the board once the appliances arrive but need to make sure I leave the right cables for him!

I'm putting in a 9.7kw/32amp induction hob and a 4.1kw/30amp oven, can I run both off one 16mm/70a radial or do I need to run two 6mm lines?

Or have I misinterpreted and over-killed here??

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kevin.

Sponsored Links
Your electrician will be signing off the docs and the legal paperwork to say that he has designed, installed and tested the new circuit(s).

Surely you should be asking him these DESIGN questions?

want to run the new cooker cables under the floor/in the walls before getting a sparky in to hook it all up and into the board once the appliances arrive but need to make sure I leave the right cables for him!
Does he know he's going to be doing this?

What are his plans regarding certification of the work?

What are your expectations regarding certification of the work?

Do the above two align?

Has he explained to you about where and how cables may be buried in walls and floors?

I'm putting in a 9.7kw/32amp induction hob and a 4.1kw/30amp oven, can I run both off one 16mm/70a radial or do I need to run two 6mm lines?
Have you found a 70A breaker for your CU yet?

Are you able to legitimately sign this:

I being the person responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Get an electrician.

Thanks Taylor, I'm just trying to save both myself and whoever I get in some time rather than getting someone in for two stages.
It's literally a straight run of 7m to the cooker so I thought the first stage might be straightforward enough before leaving the dangerous bit to an expert.

I'd obviously like to run the cables to save a bit of cash otherwise I need to pay him to do that then come back and do the second fix, which all adds up in hourly rates.

Does this not seem possible then?

Sponsored Links
I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

How will an electrician sign an EIC if he doesn't do the highlighted tasks?

Have you factored the cost of applying for Building Regulations approval before you start into your calculations?

Cheers for the input lads; I obviously don't know regs and disclaimers that everyone's required to sign, remember this is called DIYnot ;)

I've run plenty of cables when labouring without being qualified was just hoping to do that stage for myself in this instance too. Looks like it's not a goer so will just have to get someone in for both stages.

Thanks
K

Get someone in, let them tell you what cables you need and where to install them. You do the grunt, she comes back to do the final bits.

I'm putting in a 9.7kw/32amp induction hob
9.7kW @ 240V = 40.4A

and a 4.1kw/30amp oven,
4.1kW @ 240V = 17.1A

can I run both off one 16mm/70a radial or do I need to run two 6mm lines?
One 4mm² (method C) 32A circuit will suffice.

Yes.

This does not detract from the above advice but shows why you must consult an electrician.

There's DIY - doing it yourself and DIY - knowing what you are doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back