Cooker hood installation - FCU and socket placement

Zap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting a new kitchen fitted and will be using an electrician to do the connection work, however I'm doing the channeling in and putting in back boxes. On the wall that the cooker and hood are going on there will be little useable wall space at worktop level.

My question is - can I put the FCU for the hood up near the ceiling as there isn't space above the worktop? Also, can you run the flex from the cooker hood up inside the chimney?

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
can I put the FCU for the hood up near the ceiling as there isn't space above the worktop?
You should ask the man who you'll be expecting to sign documents saying that he made all the decisions and did all of the work and that it all complied with the Wiring and the Building Regulations.

Also, can you run the flex from the cooker hood up inside the chimney?
You should check what the manufacturers instructions say, and also ask the man who you'll be expecting to sign documents saying that he made all the decisions and did all of the work and that it all complied with the Wiring and the Building Regulations.

Why do you assume it would be a male electrician bas? :rolleyes:

Zap, when my kitchen electrics were put in an unswitched socket was put about 18 inches below ceiling level and a FCU placed next to the cooker connection point directly below it to place it in zone. (The socket was placed behind where the chimney cover would be.)

I queried two things at the time: wouldn't it get wet with condensation, and what happens if the fuse in the plug blows, but was told that condensation is not a problem as the hood would be vented outside (which implies that you shouldn't do it if you will fit a recirculating hood), and fuses rarely blow but to put a 3amp fuse in the FCU and a 13 amp in the plug when it was eventually fitted.

This was done in early 2009 and didn't affect the BR completion certificate so appears to be ok.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back