Cooker hood switch ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like there is a fault on the pcb of my hotpoint hs70x cooker hood, everything wors fine part fom the lights wont switch off, fan controls are fine it's just the switch for turning the lights that wont work. I've removed the pcb and all looks fine, researched online price and they are around £100 and same one seems to fit many hoods. What I'm wondering is if there is anywhere to get a non genuine one ? Or if its possible to fit a small google switch to the hood breaking the live to the bulbs ?

Seems alot of money as the hood works fine except for th lights no going off

Sponsored Links
If it is just the switch on the PCB which has failed, then you could remove the old one and fit new, if you are any good at de-soldering and re-soldering ;)

Can test the switch with a multimeter?

It is the one on the left, not sure where to get one from or if that is the problem as the switch feels exactly the same as the others with the same 'click' as the others

Sponsored Links
Yeah that's what I'm thinking about, could just put I out of sight. Which wires would go where on the switch ?

hard to say without having the switch in front of me but it will be marked

how many wires go to the lights? just two?

On the photo it shows the 2 wires, yellow an white they go to the first lamp which in turn goes to the othe lamp

Quite unlikely to be the switch itself, as those switches do not switch the lights directly. More likely to be a triac (small black object with 3 legs) has gone short circuit. If you happen to know somebody who's a bit handy with electronics then it's a 5 minute job to replace and the part will be less than £1, otherwise you have a choice of buying the new board or fitting a traditional switch as Iggifier suggests.

If you're going down the route of fitting an alternative switch...

Identify which wire goes to the CENTRE terminals of the lamps

Disconnect this wire form the PCB and connect to one terminal of the switch

Connect the other switch terminal to mains live, which should be the brown but trace where it goes to be sure

Yes, one of those. From the board markings it appears that one is a power transistor and one a triac. One will control the fan, the other the lights. By tracing the PCB tracks from where the wires attach you should be able to deduce which does what. Looking at your first picture my guess is that the triac on the right will control the lights but it is no more than an educated guess.

They should both have codes printed on them for which you may need a magnifying glass. If you can read the code on the dead one, post it here and I'll provide a link for obtaining a spare.

Do you own/know how to use a soldering iron?

Yes I can use a soldering iron and have one and solder etc so hoping that it is one of the 2 parts you mention, £100 is a lot for me at the moment and the mrs is on my back to get it sorted !

BT137-600 56p +VAT - http://uk.farnell.com/nxp/bt137-600/triac-8a-600v-to-220/dp/1081318?ref=lookahead

2N607513 I think should be 2N6075B, again 56p -
http://uk.farnell.com/on-semiconductor/2n6075bg/triac-4a-600v-to-225/dp/9557229

Only trouble is it's probably going to cost you 5 or 6 quid in handling charges on such a small order so it might be worth getting a solder sucker if you haven't already...

http://uk.farnell.com/miller-abeco/green-587/desoldering-gun/dp/419011 is the one I have, best to steer clear of the really cheap ones.

Edit to add - get a couple of the triacs, it's quite common for them to fail like this when a lamp blows, same as happens with dimmers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back