cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My cooker hood has packed in. It's currently plugged in to a socket on top of the cupboards. Thinking of replacing it (instructions seem simple enough looking at the web). Remove old one, drill - fit new one and connect to electric. Now, the couple of instructions I've found show wiring to a "double pole switched fused spur outlet". Would putting a plug on and plugging it in be a no-no? Is this work something that a basic DIYer can do under regulations or does it need an electrician?

All advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Whilst manufacturers instructions should be followed, the fused connection unit they specify would give you
- a fuse, and
- a means of isolation.
But so would a suitably fused plug.

My reading of the Building Regulations suggest that notification is not required.

So I would just fit a flex and a plug.

BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU DRILL!

..now looking closer the flex from the extractor (just a recirculating one) runs under an aluminium chimney shroud thing and then is plastered in to the wall to get the short distance (about 10 cm) to the plug on top of the cupboard.

Will mean redecorating. Unless I could attach the existing flex to the new appliance, does anyone know if this is usually faesible.

My cooker hood has packed in. It's currently plugged in to a socket on top of the cupboards. Thinking of replacing it (instructions seem simple enough looking at the web). Remove old one, drill - fit new one and connect to electric. Now, the couple of instructions I've found show wiring to a "double pole switched fused spur outlet". Would putting a plug on and plugging it in be a no-no? Is this work something that a basic DIYer can do under regulations or does it need an electrician?

All advice appreciated.

I think it's quite common to just have it plugged into a socket, mine sounds the same as yours, with mine plugging into a socket on top of a cupboard nearby.
Like the first replyer said, a plug & socket has a similar effect as a fused connection unit, in that it is protected by a fuse and you can isolate the power.

Sponsored Links
..now looking closer the flex from the extractor (just a recirculating one) runs under an aluminium chimney shroud thing and then is plastered in to the wall to get the short distance (about 10 cm) to the plug on top of the cupboard.

Will mean redecorating. Unless I could attach the existing flex to the new appliance, does anyone know if this is usually faesible.

Depends on the new one I guess, as to how easy it would be to change the cable.
You could also join the new cable with the old, but you need some advice from the pro's on here as regards to what kind of connection device you should use and about regulations. A simple junction box to connect both cables, hidden away within the new hood anyone?

Yes I was wondering about joining the new cable to the old underneath the aluminium chimney thing. Advice would be appreciated as to what's acceptable.

.. the extractor (just a recirculating one).
completely useless, then. While you're about it, consider hiring a core drill so it can extract to the outside.

...point taken about the recirculating mode of these extractor fans. Not sure I'm brave enough to drill a bloody great hole through the wall. Would pe possible however but would need some kind of ducting to run along about 2 metres on top of cupboards to reach the external wall.

Any views on cutting of the existing cable, shortening the new appliance one and joining in some way? Is this just a bodge and would it be unsafe??

.. the extractor (just a recirculating one).
completely useless, then. While you're about it, consider hiring a core drill so it can extract to the outside.

They're not useless John.
The steam from the pans is sucked into a filter in the hood, and clean air recirculated out of the top. All the crud is collected in the filter which can be replaced or cleaned every now and again (that's a few years :) )

Yes, it's better to get it outside, but not always practical, possible, or worth the trouble. We have a separate kitchen extractor also which we have on loads.
And one in the downstairs toilet.
And one for the upstairs toilet.
And one for the bathroom.

I love extractor fans. I think I have a fan fetish.
(Just like your RCBO fetish, John ;) )

Any views on cutting of the existing cable, shortening the new appliance one and joining in some way? Is this just a bodge and would it be unsafe??

Should be fine as long as the existing plug and flex are in sound condition and wired correctly. Use the rating of fuse advised in the new hood instructions. Search for '13A flex connector' for the correct type of joint box. Better to have a single flex and no joint though if this is feasible.

@ pbar

I used to go to Agricultural Machinery shows, I used to love watching the ploughing competitions and seeing the little grey Fergies, or the red Masseys, and the big John Deeres. I even liked looking at the yellow caterpillars and the old steam traction engines. I was a real enthusiast.

But I gave it up and took up stamp collecting.

Now I'm an ex-tractor fan.

@ pbar

I used to go to Agricultural Machinery shows, I used to love watching the ploughing competitions and seeing the little grey Fergies, or the red Masseys, and the big John Deeres. I even liked looking at the yellow caterpillars and the old steam traction engines. I was a real enthusiast.

But I gave it up and took up stamp collecting.

Now I'm an ex-tractor fan.

GROOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN.............. :D :D :D

I think I have a fan fetish.

woman-with-large-fan-thumb4445001.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back