Cooker install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Searched the site but found now definative answer.

Im replacing my cooker unit that is currently running on its own circuit, and am about to replace it with an oven that will run off a 13 amp plug.

Whats the best way to wire it in?

Sponsored Links
What setup do you currently have?

Is the existing oven wired straight into the cooker isolator switch, or is there an outlet plate behind the oven itself?

Do you know what size fuse is protecting the circuit?

yeah its wired directly into a wall socket containing high gauge wire behind the oven. Thats linked to the isolator switch above the worktop which is then connected to the main junction box and is protected with a 32amp fuse. :D

What i was going to do was replace the plate behind the oven with a standard plug socket, so then its just running on the same as the ring main.

13 amp plug on a 32 amp fused circuit.

I take it the bit behind your oven is a plate that looks like this: (but with a cable coming out of the bottom
CM2177.JPG

If so then you can replace it with a single socket front, witch will allow you to plug your new oven in. You will still have your CCU above the worktop to switch off / isolate the oven..

Are you confident to attempt this yourself?

If so, SWITCH OFF THE ELECTRICITY. remove the front off the cooker outlet, remove the thick cable that went to the old cooker, remove the back part of the cooker outlet to leave a box with just a cable in it.
You need to make sure the earth wire of the cable is covered with earth sleeving, and that there is an earth wire connected to the earth terminal in the steel back box (this should have been connected to the old outlet)

Take your new socket and connect the live, neutral and the two earths (one from the cable and one from the back box). Make sure all the connections are tight, and the wires will not pull out. Screw the new socket to the backbox. Turn back on the power.

You should use a decent quality socket suck as MK or Crabtree.
MKK0780.JPG

Sponsored Links
cheers fella,

just edited my post before you posted that, honest! :D

Just wanted to make sure that was the best option.

Thanks a lot!!

Ive already had to convert all the other sockets as the old washer and fridge etc were all hard wired into a socket :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back