Kitchen wiring - cooker spur q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my new kitchen I shall have an electric oven, a gas hob and a dish-washer.

Looking at connecting up, I know that a 'cooker' needs a 45 amp radial circuit of its own, and that I could use a switch which also has a 13 amp socket built in. However, looking at installation guides for built in ovens on Screwfix, they seem to come with a 13 amp plug attached. Is this so, or just with some electric ovens? (always had a free standing gas cooker till now!) If I put in the radial circuit, can I (safely) put a socket on the end instead of a cooker connection unit?

Sponsored Links
depends on cooker rating.

most cookers can simply be plugged in to a normal socket outlet, its the "hob" (rings) that draew alot of current, but yours will be gas?

ohh, if they are gas they will probably need a socket too for ignition

why not install a ring for your cooker and d/w and dont forget part p

Fran Faulkner said:
Looking at connecting up, I know that a 'cooker' needs a 45 amp radial circuit of its own,
so what about the industrial cookers needing 300A. or maybe the small fan oven using 2KW?

Fran Faulkner said:
and that I could use a switch which also has a 13 amp socket built in. However, looking at installation guides for built in ovens on Screwfix, they seem to come with a 13 amp plug attached. Is this so, or just with some electric ovens? (always had a free standing gas cooker till now!) If I put in the radial circuit, can I (safely) put a socket on the end instead of a cooker connection unit?

i dont have 1 of these

so i cant tell you what you need to do

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
Thought you used a mystic cat, andrew? :LOL:

i do, but he's sleeping. again.

aswell as the fact he's proven to be wrong many times.

andrew2022 said:
Fran Faulkner said:
Looking at connecting up, I know that a 'cooker' needs a 45 amp radial circuit of its own,
so what about the industrial cookers needing 300A. or maybe the small fan oven using 2KW?

Fran Faulkner said:
and that I could use a switch which also has a 13 amp socket built in. However, looking at installation guides for built in ovens on Screwfix, they seem to come with a 13 amp plug attached. Is this so, or just with some electric ovens? (always had a free standing gas cooker till now!) If I put in the radial circuit, can I (safely) put a socket on the end instead of a cooker connection unit?

i dont have 1 of these

so i cant tell you what you need to do

Ah well, I'll just read the helpful posts then.

Fran Faulkner said:

if you dont supply ALL info (power ratings mainly) then its impossible for us to give you a proper reply. or we can give you a reply which should suit any cooker. get a 70KVA 3 phase supply and have a 125A 3PH cooker outlet. then wire your cooker into that. this will cost you several thousands. but if we know what the demands are, we can give you a more realistic answer

andrew2022 said:

They are never much good are they? Mine electrocuted himself some time ago, terrible mis-judgement on his part, decided that the service head was his territory and proceded to mark it as such...

Adam_151 said:
andrew2022 said:

They are never much good are they? Mine electrocuted himself some time ago, terrible mis-judgement on his part, decided that the service head was his territory and proceded to mark it as such...

they should be adequatly protected from bein ****ed on. i think you should sue the DNO for it.

andrew2022 said:
Fran Faulkner said:

if you dont supply ALL info (power ratings mainly) then its impossible for us to give you a proper reply. or we can give you a reply which should suit any cooker. get a 70KVA 3 phase supply and have a 125A 3PH cooker outlet. then wire your cooker into that. this will cost you several thousands. but if we know what the demands are, we can give you a more realistic answer

I can't give any power ratings, as I haven't bought an oven yet - hence my question
built in ovens on Screwfix, they seem to come with a 13 amp plug attached. Is this so, or just with some electric ovens?
Your post seems to suggest there aren't any 'standards' or 'norms' for built in domestic oven power ratings.

andrew2022 said:
they should be adequatly protected from bein p****d on. i think you
should sue the DNO for it.

I forgot to mention I had two, a breeding pair, the other one did start legal procedings, but a few days later I found her strung from an electricity pole by an offcut of concentric :cry: , its all a terribly upseting chain of events :cry:

Fran Faulkner said:
Your post seems to suggest there aren't any 'standards' or 'norms' for built in domestic oven power ratings.

that is true, i did say so earlier

Fran Faulkner said:

exactly

well there are yes but it depends very much on the type

single ovens are usually less than 3KW (so can be plugged in) double ovens generally somewhere around double that.

hobs are generally MUCH higher

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back