Cooker isolator distance from hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. In process of doing kitchen and I cant seem to find safe distance for cooker isolator switch from cooker/hob, is it 100mm? There is cooker outlet going behind cooker which will be less than 2m cable, so just looking for cooker isolation distance. Currently I can get it 80mm if I incorporate an old socket box to my new cooker circuit, and this socket previously was even less distance to hob and no issues arised. Cheers

Sponsored Links
I have never seen a cooker isolator tap on a gas cooker that you can assess in an emergency, however it is standard practice to put an isolator for an electric cooker within sight of the cooker but not above or behind it, as should there be a cooker fire the idea is you can still reach it, however as far I am am aware it is only common sense there is no rule to say it must be there.

Clearly no point if in the event of a fire you would not be able to assess it. Since you don't need to have one, there is no distance, just common sense.

In the flat under the house we do turn off the cooker isolator, but in the house I have never used the switch, the modern cooker has so many safety features not really required, I have found the hot plates turned on many times where wife has forgot to turn them off, but with no pan on them they turn off anyway and after a set time lock off, so no real problem, my only problem is if she does same in the caravan where we use gas.

Cheers for your reply. We have an electric cooker and gas hob integrated as one, freestanding.

Sponsored Links
Hi. In process of doing kitchen and I cant seem to find safe distance for cooker isolator switch from cooker/hob, is it 100mm?
There is no actual requirement to have a switch so, obviously the regulations do not specify a distance for things which are not required.
Other publications recommend 300mm. from the side.

There is cooker outlet going behind cooker which will be less than 2m cable, so just looking for cooker isolation distance. Currently I can get it 80mm
A very small room?

if I incorporate an old socket box to my new cooker circuit, and this socket previously was even less distance to hob and no issues arised.
Precisely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back