Cooker mcb problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bear with me....
Chrimbo eve there was a lot of action with the cooker. 5 ceramic hobs and the oven. Missus did a lot baking that day, so oven was always around about 230-240 temp. Worked out about 33 amps. Have not accounted for diversity. There is a 32amp breaker. The breaker kept tripping out most of the day. Anyway, thought it might have been oven element. So used fan oven, mcb kept tripping out. Took cover off cu and noticed two terminal weren't tight and there was a burn mark on the neutral side on the cooker side. Chrimbo eve and some of Chrimbo day it constantly tripped out. Here's the thing, we have no problems with the cooker now, we don't put the oven temp up so high and works no probs. I appreciate we need to address the issue of the burn mark but why is it working ok now? Mystery to me. We're getting the sparkie in next week to sort it out.

Sponsored Links
Was it the MCB, RCBO OR RCCB that actually tripped? The burnt part of the cable needs to be cut back to undamaged insulation and shiny copper.

The fan oven still has an element as will the grill.
Have you operated the hob since? I assume both are powered from the same circuit?
What size cable is the cooker on?
I have you investigated at the cooker control isolator and outlet plate for any potential issues?

Sponsored Links
Yes but all the elements can't be damaged. Yes we have operated it since. We had 3 hobs and the oven on yesterday and no probs....what I have noticed is intermittent buzzing...I've had a look at what would likely be causing it, loose connections, nearing overload etc. but can't be sure until we get sparkie in. What concerns me is the burn marks on the neutral side....

2.5mm t&e on 32A breaker is not a very good or safe set-up!
Are you sure about this? The circuit is a radial and not a ring?
Neutral will burn out if loose.

What, with a digital micrometer?? I am suprised that you have such a thing to hand.

It is the AREA of the copper conductor that will be the 4mm² or whatever,
not the radius or the diameter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back