Cooker not on RCCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just noticed in my new house that the electric cooker circuit and a kitchen heater circuit both run off a 32 amp MCB on the right hand side of the Consumer Unit. This is where the lights are hooked in - all the other mains circuits go from the left hand (RCCD protected) side of the CU.

Is this normal? Does it present a risk? Is there a reason for it?

I have every reason to believe that this was done as part of a full rewire 2 years ago by a qualified electrician, but it seems odd to me. Do I need to get someone to look at it?

Sponsored Links
Perfectly normal, unless there is a socket on the ccu which can be reasonably expected to supply equipment outdoors which would then mean it should be RCD protected.

Krayol said:
I just noticed in my new house that the electric cooker circuit and a kitchen heater circuit both run off a 32 amp MCB on the right hand side of the Consumer Unit. This is where the lights are hooked in
:eek: have i understood this right?

Thank for that. A great relief. I was under the (clearly false) impression that only lighting was unprotected by the RCCD.

We've had a few problems with the electrics since moving in. In one instance, I replaced a bulb and two lighting circuits including the switches simply fried...on examination, the light bulb holder had 3 sets of additional wires wired into its terminals (with lots of bare wire that had touched), running 7 additional bulbs! I suspect these were "adjustments" made by the last owner after the rewire though!

As a result of this "I'm prehaps looking for problems!" :eek:

Sponsored Links
Hi crafty1289,

I meant that the lights plugged into DIFFERENT mcbs on the (unprotected) right hand side - not the same one, sorry!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back