Cooker oven trips mcb?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has just moved into a new house with an existing BEKO Dual fuel Range Cooker, Part No BE10DF, I think it must be a quite a few years old.
It was used for the first time yesterday Hobs [gas] all ok but when the oven was used, after a time it tripped the mcb in the box in the hall.
I have been and checked the external wiring, all seems OK, left it switched on for at least half an hour and it did not trip, tried all the controls and nothing tripped so assume it must be the cooker Oven that has a problem when it warms up, any ideas as to what it may be or is it a new Oven!!

Sponsored Links
I'd guess the oven element goes short-circuit when thermal expansion distorts the core wire and brings it into contact with the sheath.

The elements are common causes of rcd tripping. If you have no means of testing ( megga or similar ) then disconnect & insulate one of the wires to the element & try again. If it does not then trip the rcd the chances are it is likely to be a faulty element.

There is no RCD unit.
The fault is intermittant only happens after the oven has been on for a while so checking with a meter has not helped.

Sponsored Links
Sorry did not notice that you said " mcb " got so used to people posting that the rcd was tripping. You need to measure the current being drawn with a tong tester if you have one attached to your meter & ensure that the circuit is capable of taking. the loading you are getting shown on the meter. This way you will know if you have a faulty appliance or a faulty circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back