Cooker point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First many thanks in the past ref my ring main

Hi I have a cooker point in the kitchen which we no longer use , I would like to cut the cooker wire in the loft as I no longer need the cooker point and put a 32amp juction box in and then run a new cable down the wall chasing it in to a new double plus socket
and then spur off this to one more double socket . The cooker is on its own fuse in the consumer box . Would this be ok

Sponsored Links
What size is the cable? What fuse is protecting it? Work is in the kitchen so notafiable.

this is proper cooker cable cable that is the thick 3 core cooker wire and the new cable that I would use is 2.5 3 core cable that was used on my ring main.
Is has a 32 amp fuse in the box
hope this helps

I think the point that oharaf is getting at is that you may be able to put a double socket on the end of the cooker cable where it is, instead of cutting it in the loft, presumably connecting the new feed with a junction box and then putting a socket on the end of it.

Is your CU RCD protected? Do you know what csa the cooker cable is and what route does it take? If it's 6mm and the cable routing will allow then you can put a double socket on the end of it as it is now and save yourself alot of work.

Electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable.

Sponsored Links
No!!!!!!

You CANNOT use 2.5mm² cable and leave the 30A fuse in place.

Either derate to 20A or continue the circuit in 4mm².

And try to do away with that JB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back